CBX as a commuter bike?

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX as a commuter bike?

Post by andy »

Every dry day, year-round my CBX is 1st choice to commute, 60 miles round-trip. Usually take the longer scenic route.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

My commute is about 40 miles RT, but I don't do it every day. Once upon a time it didn't matter if it was freezing or 100+ degrees, but now days, I don't care to ride when it's below 60 or above 90, although I will go 10 degrees more in either direction if the ride is not too long or I have a gotta-ride urge. There was even a time when I liked to ride in the rain, but I hate it now. Just got wimpy over time I guess. The CBX is a great ride, though. I just wish my immediate surroundings were a little more senic and the weather a little more moderate for a little while longer. Spring and fall are great in Texas, though. Both days.

chevok
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

commuting on an X...

Post by chevok »

My commute isn't that much here in Corpus, it's only 5 miles from my apartment to the University and yes, I do use the X as my main means of transportation. Here in South Texas we get plenty of nice days for riding and besides, I kinda like parking next to a couple of 250 Nighthawks and asking the student's 'what they're bikes are gonna be when they grow up'... :D
Ken Brown--Have bike, will ride....

george g
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by george g »

No, not me any more. I used to commute with my CB1100F but riding in the rain and (sometimes) a little snow turned me into the fair-weather rider I am today! I try and stay off the highways unless I have to - especially during rush hour (clutch hand gets a little tired).
Later!

George.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

CBX commute?

Post by sr71cbx »

-------Been using my '79 turbo and carbed '80 model off & on for daily commute into downtown L.A.(eeeeyeccchh!!?!!!??!),thankfully it's only 13 miles each way and keeps my blood pressure from reading like hydraulic pressure on the way home in traffic,let someone else vapor lock and melt down on the freeway from stress & sitting in traffic!! 8)

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Daily commuter

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Just a few comments to FONDAHONDA- You ain't gettin wimpy-you are getting older and wiser!!! I spent my 18th birthday in the hospital when my friends R-60 BMW decided to kick a rod in the middle of nowhere Ohio in the midst of chasing after 2 good looking young ladies. The wind chill was about -5 that night. OH yes they WERE worth it.!! I rode at 13 below to work when my boss took my co. car while his was in the shop. My MG had no intention of starting but my Kaw 500 did on the 3rd kick. Won points with boss's dad for dedication to co. Rode same bike to Miami and back at X-mas time. Rained from Tampa to Tenn then dropped below freezing the last 200 miles. Try 2000 miles on that bike with big tube chambers with 1 baffle MIA. Have taken my 80 to spring break in Daytona and planned on being home for dinner (60 miles) Did not leave until 3 AM -No jacket, just a thin cotton shirt. 50 degrees- 100% humidity I may not be wiser now but I sure am older !!
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

commuting ?

Post by sr71cbx »

CRAZY DAVE,

You musta looked like that guy in the movie"Gumball Rally"that was riding a Kawie 400 triple,your boss at the time certainly didn't sound very considerate either.I would have sprayed his car down with water if it was below freezing outside........we used to do that when I was in the military in S.Dakota as a practical joke,gets real difficult to get into the car before springtime.................!!!Also,your run from Daytona sounded like the proverbial"animal ride",between expansion chambers,engine vibes,foul weather,and the distance,....... :yikes: well,cast iron surely played a part.......... 8)

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Crazy Dave,

Definitely older. Twenty years ago I rode my CB900F from Tampa to Fort Worth. I'd been in Tampa a couple of years so I didn't have any cold weather gear, and being March, I could ride in my shirt sleeves in Tampa. 200 miles east of Fort Worth I hit freezing rain/sleet, but I thought, I'm not going to stop now, I'm almost there. Besides, I'll probably ride out of it, right? Wrong! I made it, but had to pry my fingers off the bars.

chevok
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by chevok »

Fondahonda....

Know the feeling well... back in '81 I bought a new 900F from Pensacola Honda and rode it back to Washington, DC where I was stationed. From Pensacola to Tallahassee it was bright, sunny, and about 80 degrees.... from Tallahassee to DC it was thunderstorms the whole way. I stopped overnight at the N/S Carolina line and I had to defrost in the shower for an hour.

I ended up doing this run about every 6 weeks and the trips were much better after the fairing arrived. Man, I miss that bike!
Ken Brown--Have bike, will ride....

motorcycleguy1

long distance commuter

Post by motorcycleguy1 »

If I may throw my two cents into the conversation.....

My company sent me down to Saugerties,NY to work for a couple weeks, back in 2001. I had just bought my 80 A model three days earlier.

I had only ridden it a total of 11 miles to the DMV and home.

The bike had 14000 on it. Without so much as a hesitation, I(over) loaded

her, and made the daily commute from Utica to Saugerties. About 175 miles one way. Did this for two weeks. Bike niw has 43, 600 miles, and runs as good as ever! I have since added the sport fairing, a set of Krauser hard bags, and a 36tooth rear sprocket for better highway travel.

Good commuter bike? Sure! I rarely use my Nissan 300ZX anymore.

This bike is my main form of transportation, rain or shine.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”