RALLY 2011

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

RALLY 2011

Post by Louis »

Jan and i had a talk the other day about a rally site for this year. I was wondering what anybody might think of Murphy NC. I can find out about some hotel prices. I know for sure there are some larger places that can for sure handle a good size group. I also have a place that people are welcome to camp on. Do have water, electric and can get a porta unit for a rest room if needed. Just a thought anyway? There are plenty of places to ride, to eat and shop there. Email me at usedcbxparts@hotmail.com if anyone has any questions on camping. Louis
My thought is if the ICOA did not want to do one there would others be interested in this area?

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: RALLY 2011

Post by Don »

John Flake from North Carolina was talking about hosting a spring/summer rally there somewhere . . . . I forget

He was talking it up at Brookville last fall and it sounded like he'd done a good bit of research and was eager to get something organized. Jan was there (at Brookville) and maybe he or some others can recall the particulars . . . . or maybe we'll hear something from John

Anyway, North Carolina sounds like a fine rally site - Good roads, reasonable hotel rates and (hopefully) nice weather

Don

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome suggestion Louis, thank you. That's a fantastic area to ride.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I like NC for a CBX rally :thumupp: I'll be in! What are the possible dates or is the timeframe?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Sounds like a winner to me. I really like that area.

Jan mentioned that it would be nice to hold a rally near an airport w/ cheap international fares, to attract attendees from abroad, or even from distant areas of the USA. Unfortunately, big airports mean conjestion and poor riding opportunities. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Louis, what time frame do you have in mind?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Ask Jan when he thinks the ICOA would like to do one? or who ever is in charge of that call. June/July is good. I guess it also depends on how many people would like to come to this area. I do not think it will work for people that are from overseas. It is way to late to have that kind of rally.It takes about a year to plan something like that for sure. I think I will do another real big one on the 35th birthday of the CBX for people here and overseas. We also have to make so non members can come without feeling like they have to join the ICOA.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Louis wrote:Ask Jan when he thinks the ICOA would like to do one? or who ever is in charge of that call. June/July is good. I guess it also depends on how many people would like to come to this area. I do not think it will work for people that are from overseas. It is way to late to have that kind of rally.It takes about a year to plan something like that for sure. I think I will do another real big one on the 35th birthday of the CBX for people here and overseas. We also have to make so non members can come without feeling like they have to join the ICOA.
The last idea I heard discussed was this exactly - an all-inclusive rally, jointly put together, by whoever wanted to participate. No BS. I'm all for it and appreciate you sparking more dialog on it Louis.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

I would love to ride the CBX to this, just avoid the dates of June 15 till July 5th as I will be in UTor on the road! Sounds like a great location even if I cannot attend!

Has anyone looked at Fontana Village recently. Have they ever redone the place! It is a great location also!
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The best time is one that works for the host. If he/she can't attend, it won't work. So Louis, you know that area better than most of us, you tell us when to show up.

As for it being an official ICOA rally, that too is the choice of the host. My Colorado rally was non-denominational, and we had a lot of folks who were just friends of members or former members. No registration or fees, just a good time.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sounds like a good start for a N/C rally. I sent John Flake and Rick a note to confer about what he had in mind and how it would work out with Louis' proposed site.

Does anyone from New York/New Jersey/N.E. still have any interest in organizing an ICOA presence at Rhinebeck in June? If so, we someone to step up soon and get that going so we don't end up with overlapping dates with other proposed events.

And for the zillionth time, we need some guys out West to step up and organize some events on the west coast. There seems to be quite a bit of new blood in the area and we can certainly give you the template for how to do the basics of hosting an event. This goes for any other area of the country that does not have regional events. Those of us here in the Mid-Atlantic cannot pick a rally site in California, or New Mexico, or Arkansas. Local guys HAVE to do it. Please someone step up!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote:
Louis wrote:Ask Jan when he thinks the ICOA would like to do one? or who ever is in charge of that call. June/July is good. I guess it also depends on how many people would like to come to this area. I do not think it will work for people that are from overseas. It is way to late to have that kind of rally.It takes about a year to plan something like that for sure. I think I will do another real big one on the 35th birthday of the CBX for people here and overseas. We also have to make so non members can come without feeling like they have to join the ICOA.
The last idea I heard discussed was this exactly - an all-inclusive rally, jointly put together, by whoever wanted to participate. No BS. I'm all for it and appreciate you sparking more dialog on it Louis.

N.

I see no reason why the ICOA can't sponsor a "CBX-rally" for everybody, ICOA member or not. We used to have "guests" at rallies all the time. Nobody should feel obliged to join. I know, there are some who want to deliberately distance themselves from the ICOA and they wouldn't come, but I don't think that this is the majority.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:I see no reason why the ICOA can't sponsor a "CBX-rally" for everybody, ICOA member or not. We used to have "guests" at rallies all the time. Nobody should feel obliged to join. I know, there are some who want to deliberately distance themselves from the ICOA and they wouldn't come, but I don't think that this is the majority.

True. In the past, at ICOA rallies, if a fee was charged, it was a bit more for non-members, like $5 more for the weekend.

And Dave is correct. We need some interested folks out west to throw something together. It need not be large, just announce that you've got a good place to ride and comfortable accomodations. Good food nearby is a plus, but supper rides are good too. Friends you've not yet met will arrive, and a new set of memories will begin.

Some of the best rally memories for Suan and I are the days before a rally, if we'd arrive early and there were only a few folks there. Small can be good.
Rick Pope

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

I am just suggesting that Murphy would be a good place for a rally and i do not want to host it, just do not have the time. I will help find hotels that can work with everyones budget as well as trailer parking. The reason i say Murphy is i know the area and i think it does help finding stuff easier. Just let me know if this work? I would also need to know dates. Even if you decide this is not the place for the rally site i will still have a get together there for anybody that would still like to go there for a couple days of riding. I am thinking on doing this sometime in the middle of April. Weather will also help with my decision.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

I'm interested, the distance is not terrible from Delaware.

But, I'm wondering how pleasant it would be in mid April.

And a place to camp would be supper.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”