A few stats and rants and raves of my 07 NW tour P-1

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

A few stats and rants and raves of my 07 NW tour P-1

Post by Terry »

Just a few hours into my trip, just minutes before I got to leave the freeway and really begin my annual 2 lane tour of the northwest, passing a column of cars, RVs and semi-trucks on I-5, a rock or something must have kicked up and smashed out my headlight cover. From my perspective, I didn't hear or feel a thing, just saw what appeared to be a handful of confetti hitting the front of my fairing. During my next stop I noticed the lens was completely gone except for a few crumbs of glass left in the channels in the rubber edges. Shattered just like a car's windshield, in a million tiny pieces. Drawback for the rest of the trip was having a million bugs fill up the cavity and coat the headlight. Luckily the headlight was not cracked and worked fine.

I had to replace the rear tire on the 6th day as the mileage estimate I'd heard about didn't work out. The 130/90 Kenda Challenger lasted only 4,007 miles and had about 20" of threads showing down the middle by the time I got to a shop in WA state to change it. Ran 38 psi. Rode about 100 miles on hiway 20 bald or with threads showing. Luckily I found a dealer in Burlington at I-5 that not only had a tire in my size (another Kenda :roll: ) but they got me right in and out within an hour or so, once I got there. Didn't overcharge me either. Skagit Motorsports is their name.

During the delay I got a call from George that Dan needed a speedo cable so I asked the guys at Skagit for the Everett Honda dealer's number and sure enough, they had one. Called George back and they picked it up on their way north. As I headed south I met them for lunch, but not before the WA state patrol felt it necessary to welcome me to his state...in writing. This $206 greeting, the traffic mess all around Seattle (and) their 60 mph six lane freeway speed limit is enough to keep me out of their state for awhile. The cop was on a BMW as well, standing next to it in the center divider holding one of those instant on radar guns. :x I thought it was a 70 zone, the last speed sign I saw was a 70 and I wasn't going any faster than the group of cars I was with but I was the only motorcycle. When my V1 lit up I was doing an indicated 72 mph, which I thought was fine for the 70 zone I thought I was in. Cop said I was doing 82. Never asked for my insurance or registration, just my license and the year of the bike. Didn't even have to sign the citation. I have 15 days to respond...

Total mileage for the trip was 3,435 in 8 days thru 5 states, CA to OR to WA to ID to MT to ID to WA to OR and back to CA. Had a couple 600 mile days. Total fuel cost was $342.63 for 101.22 gallons for a trip average of nearly 34 mpg. Used about a Qt and a half of oil mostly due to a cam chain tensioner leak that had oil all over the rear bottom of my front fender. At the end of the trip my plugs, valve adjust, chain and carb synch had over 15,000 miles on them. Starts and idles just fine. Mileage at end trip's end was 85,793.

I'll post some pics and the rest of the story in P-2. Not too many pics and none too great as my old camera failed me. Guess I'll have to go digital now... :wink:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Terry, as I am looking out the window it's still raining. Your review brought some sunshine into my day, Thanks...... 8)

PS Bummer about the ticket though.... :?
ICOA # 656

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sixofsix »

Atta boy Terry!!!

That's the best part of owning a CBX to me. Riding the dang thing all over hells half acre, doing the maintenance, and then, riding 'er again. I am pushing 160,000 kms on my CBX and enjoying every year's adventures which usually begin in March and end sometime close to December. I wonder what is in store for next year? I have always been meaning to ride out to one of those East Coast ICOA Rallies...

And about that ticket. Riding your CBX is just like going on a pass at Disneyland. It is a thrill but occasionally you have to pay to go on the ride.

So you paid $206 for a 8 day pass.

Cheaper than Disneyland.

Till next time,

Tony

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”