Naked 81 6,600 mile CBX for sale

CBX/CBXer items you have for sale/want -OR-links to items of interest online.
IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Naked 81 6,600 mile CBX for sale

Post by IOWACBXER »

Well...it is, regrettably, time for me to sell my prized 1981, mild custom, less than 6,600 mile, Honda CBX. I'll be picking it up from the mechanic that is servicing it at the end of April. My goal is to sell it as a truly turn key classic that is ready to ride (with the exception of tires that the buyer will want to select and replace). I can’t bear allowing it to deteriorate due to not being ridden so I would rather allow someone else enjoy it as I have. Some of you might remember this bike from the C2C, Marlinton, or other ICOA rallies. I can assure you that it has been well cared for and preserved. There are so many very cool features that you can see in the pictures that I won't mention them here. What you can't see are the progressive fork springs, the oversized exhaust baffles, 79 cams, 422 advancer, stage 3 jet kit, and aftermarket coils (Dyna, I think). It has a new Yuasa AGM battery and a new Pingel petcock. The carbs have been cleaned, repaired, and synced, It has new carb isolators. The brakes have been cleaned and serviced. The mechanic has also done lubrication and other minor repairs. You might not notice the 150-mph speedometer, the euro kit footpeg brackets and the bar end weights with throttle lock. The euro kit footpegs combined with the Corbin seat and aftermarket bars allowed for my 5ft 10in frame to lean slightly into the wind creating a riding position that I found to be very comfortable. In my not so humble opinion, this is what a naked 81 should be. I believe that the bikes excellent condition, style, and low mileage justify my price of $13,500. ALSO… I may be able to help with delivery if you are located on my route from the mechanic in PA to my home in S.E. IA and if our schedules coincide on the first week of May. I'm not good at typing but will return calls if you send me a PM. I will remove this ad once the bike is off of the market.
NOTE: I couldn't upload videos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Janosik ICOA 4247 S.E. Iowa

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Naked 81 6,600 mile CBX for sale

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have known John for many, many years, I have seen this CBX many times during our Mid Atlantic and National Rallies. This is a great example of what owners were doing for performance modifications during that period of time, it’s the real deal, built then by John, not some recreation by some unknown source.

Whoever purchases this bike will receive a properly sorted and proven CBX maintained by people who love and enjoy their CBX’s.

jb

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

John, at a quick glance there are about a half dozen other upgrades and modifications that you don’t mention. Larger oil cooler and AN fittings, new brake lines? Engine hangers and fork brace.

IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by IOWACBXER »

Correct. I only mentioned the mods that couldn't be seen or might not be seen..

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

What a extremely nice 81 Model, with alot of Great upgrades.

Good luck with the sale !
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Since this is a closed forum, I feel free to say that I recommissioned the bike for John. The carbs indeed have a Dyno-Jet kit in them. I completely rebuilt the carbs, leaving the previous settings intact, as John said the bike ran great that way. I can confirm that it indeed does. It behaves very well with the pod filters. The F and R brakes were completely rebuilt, all pivot points cleaned and lubed, suspension tested (stock rear shock holds 60lbs just fine). I cleaned and lubed the ignition advancer, adjusted the cam chains. The oil and filter was changed, sump checked and cleaned. The engine is dead quiet, as you would expect from a 6000 mile Pro-Link. The Avon tires are date coded in the early 00s, but show no cracking. Safe for me to test ride, but absolutely will need replaced by the choice of the new owner.

The bike is absolutely turn-key and needs nothing. The same can be said about very few CBXs for sale these days. If you were contemplating making a naked Pro-Link, this one is already done, and done very well the right way.

The bike can be seen here in NW PA for a couple of weeks, then it will be back in Iowa.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Very sad to see it go, John. To any prospective buyer, this one is a gem. And, a damn fine deal!!!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by IOWACBXER »

Atempting to include youtube links so that you can hear the beautiful sound of this incredible motorcycle. This link is from 2019 (only a couple hundred miles ago. Taken in my garage, out of the wind, so that it can be heard clearly: https://youtu.be/tG5qCtgT8VU

IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by IOWACBXER »

Here is a March 2024 video of the bike running outside: https://youtube.com/shorts/3W3B3tFMb9Y?feature=share

IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by IOWACBXER »

Well.,.lots of positive comments but no offers. What if I change the price to " or best reasonable offer" or. If I offer to include a stock exhaust? Hate to go the bat route.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Somebody is going to get a very nice bike.

Return to “4 Sale/Wanted -or- Links To Great Items 4 Sale”