What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by scottish CBX »

12261-422-000 - side ones - 4 fitted
12262-422-000 - middle ones qty 2 fitted

CMSNL list them but no stock

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

With those prices, I could be a wealthy guy :-)
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Yesterday I swapped out the old dirty zinc plated rear sprocket nuts for nice shiny new stainless ones. Similarly, I will change out the rear brake disc nuts too just to improve the look and of course these will stay cleaner for much longer.

One word of caution here, when you replace the nuts on either the sprocket or disc, check that the studs they are screwing onto are tight! At the end of last summer I had a situation where one of the nuts I had replaced went missing and upon further inspection, it turns out that the stud was not 100% tight hence the nut worked itself loose and went AWOL! So, it's worth checking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Serious life challenges delayed my riding season but the Z fired up today after a long winter storage, blue exhaust out of 1, 2 and 3 for 5 minutes then cleared.

Annoying issue re-connecting the battery, ground terminal screw wouldn't tighten and then wouldn't back out, half the battery terminal post was destroyed before I was able to remove it. All good now minus half the ground terminal,

Still a leaky petcock to sort out, then replace the seat cover and I need to get around to replacing the clutch rubbers but nothing that''ll prevent getting the Z back on the road.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Welcome back, Wyly. Hope you have a great season.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

NobleHops wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:00 pm
👍

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

NobleHops wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:00 pm
Hey thanks, to you and Jeff as well...I really need to get some serious stress relief that only a quick rip that only a bike can deliver.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Good to hear from you, Robert.
We both have a short riding season so being almost road-worthy must feel good.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Finally got the Z on the road for some much needed stress relief. First few kms were rough struggled to get up to 100km and wanted to stall at every light. A few crisp runs on the back roads seemed to sort it out.

Not 100% sure it's all back to normal but I've a new AGV helmet so it could be it just sounds different, definitely quieter than the old ZOX helmet.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I prescribe a double-strength dose of Techron followed by an Italian tuneup.Toss 8 oz in a full tank and go burn it. I bet you and the bike both feel better and better.
Nils Menten

mrcbx
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mrcbx »

italian tune up..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
79 CGR CBX, 01 CBR1100xx, 84 VF1000F Interceptor, 82 CB1100R, 82 GS1000SZ Katana, 83 Kawasaki KZ1000R ELR, 82 Kawasaki GPZ1100B2, 83 Suzuki GS1000s Wes Cooley, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 86 Honda VFR750F, 95 Honda CBR900RR Urban Tiger...

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Having replaced all 4 brake lines it was time for the dreaded bleeding session. Having read the trial and tribulations that others have had I decided to jump straight in with the shop vacuum, a length of rubber hose and then a length of clear hose. Starting with the rear brake, the clear hose was attached to the bleed nipple and the vac started up.

It took no time at all to draw fluid through and once observed I closed the nipple and disconnected the vac and hose. The it was just a case of following the age old process of bleeding - top up reservoir, open the nipple with a clear hose attached into a jar, pump the brake pedal, leave it down whilst tightening up the nipple and repeat.. I also crimp a piece of lead onto the end that goes into the jar because it stops the wet end coming out and potentially knocking over the fluid captured.

Then onto the front. This takes more time but switching between one side and another does draw the fluid out in 5 - 10 mins, you have to go backwards and forwards between the different sides but it works. I stopped once I saw a drizzle of fluid because I didn't want the vac to fill with atomised brake fluid. Then it's a case of pumping the brake lever and letting the air come out, it takes a lot more time than the back but it is simple and easy and gets the job done fairly quickly- if you don't want to leave things over night this is a good option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

NobleHops wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:42 am
I prescribe a double-strength dose of Techron followed by an Italian tuneup.Toss 8 oz in a full tank and go burn it. I bet you and the bike both feel better and better.
I've been using Sea foam is Techron better?

I'm okay with an Italian tune up I just need to choose the road and time very carefully, I fear making the local evening news ..."A Grandpa was arrested and his motorcycle impounded today, he's been charged with excessive speed violation"

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

They are first cousins or closer - petroleum distillates that can dissolve varnished fuel. I’d be very happy using either. You might remove the petcock too, Wyly, see what kind of shape the screen is in and what drains off from the bottom of the tank.
Nils Menten

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”