CBX VIN

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Try to get to page 5, so this picture loading deal goes away. Even with high speed connection it is annoying...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and you were successful in your endeavor to get to page 5. Congrats Mike :D
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: CBX VIN

Post by itsacbx »

So help me clarify what my VIN numbers mean please.......
I just acquired a black CBX, PLATED 1980, WITH VIN SC03-2001343.
Built in the US or Japan?
High performance or 'low' performance engine?
I know it has the vacuum fuel gauge.
Is it supposed to have the larger diameter fork legs and which shocks- Fade Very Quickly's or remote reservoir with the bottom adjuster lever [which are currently fitted]??
Thanks
Al

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Your bike is almost assuredly a Japanese '80, but the headstock VIN tag clearly states that if you look closely. Your engine number should be the typical Honda, within a few. Marysville '80s engine numbers were ahead of the frame numbers by approximately the number of Japanese '80s built, approximately 1800 or so.

No, fork tubes were only thicker-walled, still 35mm OD. '80s did have Honda's first-generation adjustable damping shocks - decent enough when newer, but still not that great. They are all 'high-performance'. '80s had 3-4 hp deficit due to cam changes - you'll never know it. There are volumes written here about the '79-'80 differences.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cool. Nick Plooy from BC, a former CBX owner used to have 1348 only a few numbers away from yours.
The fork lowers (sliders) on your 80 are a little thicker on the outside than the '79s. That may have confused you - unless someone installed 39mm Prolink forks.
The original shocks on the '80 were FVQ shocks, adjustable for damping and rebound. No separate reservoir. Would like to see a picture of yours.
I never understood Honda's reasoning for having different shocks in the U.S. and Canada from the rest of the world. All 79s except these two markets had the fully adjustable shocks from the very beginning.
Cams, carburetors and exhaust on 80 models differ from 79 models and contribute to a different horsepower rating which was not disclosed by Honda for North America. Contemporary reports claim 98hp vs the original 103 (or 105 - depending who you listen to) for 79.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

IMG_6537.JPG
Thanks for all that info....appreciate it.
Have ordered a set of replica pipes for the bike as it presently has Supertrapp stainless system installed and while it make a great sound, stock is what I want.
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

Oh and I forgot that Im converting the swingarm and rear wheel back to stock...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Good-looking CBX you have there! Not sure what's going on with the throttle cables. If they are hooked up at the carbs, there's way too much cable hanging out the front. Routed really any way, the stock sport kit cables are not that long. No biggie, just wondered....

Dave

Lubo
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Lubo »

52225234-523A-4A37-A199-A07E932E2EA5.jpeg
818F2B55-B15D-421A-863C-0CDC843FEB14.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lubo

Post by Lubo »

Can anyone tell me anything about my wIn

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Only that it is slightly past the mid-point of production and a couple thousand before the engine serial number moved to behind #6.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

As you are in Slovakia, you have - as you should have - a non-US spec bike with the Euro control set-up, the long rear fender and the small output alternator. You also have engine guards that were not available in the US. One thing, you do not have the original rear shocks.
More detail could be obtained from the speedometer and the carburetor ID. If you do not have the VIN plate riveted to the headstock anymore, your bike was produced in November 1978.

Lubo

Post by Lubo »

535A19EA-29AD-4D64-AD94-4CAD38042FE7.jpeg
thank you for the information I will add the label vin

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I wasn't really thinking. Your bike, considering the provenance, never had a steering neck VIN-plate with the production month on it.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It looks like your frame has been refinished and sadly, the VIN plate pop-riveted back on. They should be fluted, very small head, tap-in rivets. They also likely drilled the holes out for the pop-rivets, so you're kind of stuck with what you have. Or maybe it's of no importance to you. It's just something I've seen far too many times.

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”