Anyone Remember Drag Racer Larry Pettit from So. Cal?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Anyone Remember Drag Racer Larry Pettit from So. Cal?

Post by ericfreeman »

I'm the third owner of his 1979 CBX and was wondering if anyone here knew him back in the '70's and '80's. He sold the CBX to a friend of mine who eventually sold it to me. Larry was a drag racer of some renown in cars but I think he raced the CBX as well. When I got it, it had a monster 51 tooth rear sprocket and a very loud 6-1 racing exhaust. I've converted the bike back to a more sensible 34 sprocket and RC Engineering 6-2 exhaust, along with a complete refurbishment. She has 45,000+ miles and other than using a quart of oil every 500 miles runs very well.

Interestingly, my CBX came with a nearly new cylinder block and bare head, which makes me wonder what is actually on the bike. I haven't pulled it apart so have no idea of any internal mods Larry might have done when he was drag racing the bike. I'll probably pull the top end off next winter as it's likely time for some freshening up.

Would love to hear if any of you seasoned (old) guys knew Larry in Southern California when he was racing.

Eric

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Anyone Remember Drag Racer Larry Pettit from So. Cal?

Post by daves79x »

Congrats on acquiring the CBX! I've heard the name, don't (didn't) know him. Yes, it would be curious to see what is actually in the top end. Are you still using the 630 chain? Most guys switch to the 530 and use 18/42 gearing (stock Honda gearing).

Dave

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ericfreeman »

Yes, still running that monster 630 chain! I like the industrial/mining look of it. In fact, spent 90 minutes the other day cleaning the chain and giving a good lube. Bike gets dusty sitting all winter in a storage garage. Definitely thinking of pulling the head next winter to do a refurbishment on the head and see what pistons I have. A real mystery with that spare cylinder block and head, both in nearly new condition. The bike also has a custom swingarm, looks like it's chrome moly steel with all the fittings brazed on. It also has tapered roller bearings where it mounts in the frame. Not sure why the swingarm was changed since tire size is restricted by chain clearance and the geometry of the swingarm is the same as stock. Strange goings on back in the day.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Pictures?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”