Keep original or modify..

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Keep original or modify..

Post by Hamza »

Hi guys,

I joined the forum last year and have been browsing through the forum to educate myself as I begin the journey of restoring my 79Z.

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=11280

The engine internals are in good condition and I am going the whole 9 yards and replacing the pistons and rings even though they were not really out of round too much..

The motorcycle currently has a cb1100F front end on it along with brake callipers from a VF1000..the rear brakes are also most probably off a VF1000 with rear shocks also off a 900/1100F.

I have read that the front end upgrades are recommended as they make the bike safer and better to ride but I am also wondering if these modifications will impact the value or desirability of the bike perhaps in the long run as a collectable? If it will then I would prefer to replace the mods with the originals during the restoration

Looking forward to hearing everyones opinions!!

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Keep original or modify..

Post by CBXTRA6 »

you have to decide the intended purpose of your CBX. If it's going to be a "rider" leave it alone and enjoy the handling upgrades.
If you are already thinking show and re-sale, then you'll need the OEM parts . It would be a good idea to start looking for these parts now since CBX parts AND complete bikes prices have skyrocketed in the last few years, and it probably will continue.
Bottom line : when you sell that bike, you'll get more if it is stock
JP

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Thanks for your thoughts..well to be honest I view the bike as a piece of motorcycling history and even though it will never be a daily cruiser I feel I would be doing it an injustice if i keep it locked up..having said that I am wondering how big the trade off is..i have never ridden a cbx so I dont know how much better the cb1100 front end is in comlarison to the stock...is it a big difference and how would you best describe the difference in exoerience...thanks a lot

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The CB1100F front end is 39mm versus the 35mm forks on a CBX. Sturdier, less prone to flexing.
It should also come with a small fork brace integrated into the front fender. Again helping to keep the front end from flexing.
Dual piston calipers will brake better.
As JP pointed out, ride it with the better components, sell it with the stock components.

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Thanks guys...I think I will grab the front end and setup it up with that and then switch to the upgrade per se so I can appreciate the difference.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

There are PLENTY of opportunities to improve a CBX objectively, in brakes, electrics, suspension, comfort, take your pick. It comes down to “what will help you enjoy your wonderful motorcycle even more”. And if that includes altering it from stock then I definitely encourage you to do it. IMHO the twin-pot caliper upgrades are the single best choice, followed closely by better shocks and possibly cartridge emulators in the fork. Those two will make a dramatic improvement in the bike, without altering its wonderful unique character in the least.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”