Anyone riding these days?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Anyone riding these days?

Post by daves79x »

What type of aftermarket shock? Likely a Progressive, but could be other. Any of them should be rebuildable.

Dave

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

I can’t tell with tire in place. Seems odd that Tim’s sells a Progressive unit but Progressive doesn’t list one on their site. And Ikon shows a listing for one on one page but only fork springs available on another. Those are the two choices?

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

If you are looking to go with a new shock, I suggest calling Progressive. One of their 465 series should fit.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Finding someone to swap in a new shock is going to be harder than sourcing a new one.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

If I were buying a new shock for my Prolink today, It would be a Wilbers from Ted Porter: www.beemershop.com

The shock swap is not hard at all, there are two wrinkles though: There’s a wire that is used to monitor the shock’s air pressure, and warn if its low - just crimp an eyelet onto the wire and put it under a nearby bolt head and it will work normally.

The second issue is simply “while you’re there”. While you’re there you really should just remove the swingarm and linkages, disassemble, clean and relube, It’s highly likely that many of the pivots on the Prolink rising-rate linkage are dried out, frozen, or worse. None of that is hard, just takes some time and needs to be done carefully.

The entire job can be done with the bike on the center stand, but is definitely easier on a lift.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Notably the seals for all the suspension links will likely be dried and cracked. Measure the bushings and inserts (collars). If they are a few .0001" out of spec, no problem. Just so they are not pitted. Clean things with some 400 grit and mineral spirits. DO replace the seals. Partzilla, locally, shows the seals 'in stock'. If you do need any bushings or 'collars', CMSNL sells aftermarket replacements. None of it cheap. But, you likely will need seals.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Problem is I don’t know a thing about suspension link bushings and inserts and I’m not physically able to R&R the shock.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't know what to tell you - what is described is all part of owning a Pro-Link. You need to find a guy.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I put oversized rubbers in my clutch which should quieten things a bit just waiting for a gasket so I can put it all back together, should be riding the Z by the end of the month.

But I've two rides and had my first shake down rides on the GS1150efe since I began rebuilding it a few years back, now a rebuilt top end 70cc extra, new hd clutch and Mikuni carbs, 150ish HP, 50-60 lbs lighter, new digital control system. I haven't really tested it as yet but the engine feels very very strong, it's gonna be fun. For now low speed riding over rough roads to literally see what shakes loose, where I neglected to use Loc-tite, every time out a few less rattles as I replace the bolts that dropped out.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

IMG_0310.jpeg
IMG_0311.jpeg
IMG_0312.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg
Got in 100 yesterday and 134 today, all in the outer foothills west of Yosemite. Some sections of the less travelled two lanes were hopping (literally) with inch long grasshoppers. Luckily? they’re only as high as midway up the boots. Still, the lower half of everything gets bugged up. And still, again, I got out. This poor rattler didn’t make it across the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”