79 CBX fuel cock and capacity of fuel tank

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

79 CBX fuel cock and capacity of fuel tank

Post by piit »

Hi,

I notised something interesting not any urgent....I went back the original fuel cock and yesterday it was time re-fill the tank. I was a bit surprised that I was able to put 21.8 litres to the tank. And this was after a couple of kilometers driving after I changed to reserve. So, any idea is the 79 CBX tank 20 or 24 litres as some specification is saying it a bit different? In my case I would say 24 litres including 2 litres reservation?

With previous Honda fuel cock (bought from David Silver 3 years ago) the reservation area in filter is doupled comparing to original. But with DS fuel cock the normal side area in filter is only half of the original fuel cock and that was the reason why I went back to original....just to quarantee good fuel flow to the carbs.

Cheers,
Pete

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 CBX fuel cock and capacity of fuel tank

Post by EMS »

piit:

My original German owner's manual for my 79 says gastank capacity is 25 liters, of which 5 liters are reserve.
The U.S. spec says 5.3 gallons, which equates to 20 liters, including 1.3 gallons (5 liters) reserve. :?

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Thanks EMS!
I have never seen owner manual for CBX made in Japan. 25 litres capacity or at least close to it sounds reasonable, not sure about reserve.
However, next time I will try to put more fuel.

Cheers,
Pete

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Change to reserve and drove home about 15km. Drained approx. 1.3L fuel from the tank, put it back and drove to gas station.
I managed to put 22.1L to tank. Quite "huge" reserve, good to know :yikes:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have found that the early model tank takes quite an additional amount of fuel, if you "top off", i.e.: continue to fill slowly after the filler nozzle first shuts off. Even when it looks full, I have been able to add almost half a gallon (approx 2 Liters).
So I guess the 25L capacity number is quite good, but the reserve amount seems low with approx 1.5 Liters compared to spec. :? :?

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”