Pin Hole Leak in Gas Tank

Wheels24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Pin Hole Leak in Gas Tank

Post by Wheels24 »

Guys, I searched the Forum and found a number of old threads about leaking gas tanks, but I want to get the latest info from you experts. New products and processes surface every year. I always find out about things like Tapcons and Sharkbites the hard way, after coming home with lead anchors and standard pipe fittings.

My 1980 tank is leaking on the right side from behind the HONDA badge. It just barely weeps at this point; fuel leaks out from behind the badge in more of a film than a drip from below the H. Naturally, it only does this when the tank has enough fuel in it to reach that level...or if it gets ridden hard enough to slosh the gas around.

I (somewhat reluctantly) removed the badge and it was a little damp with fuel behind it, but it wasn't obvious where the leak is. The metal badge mounting strip is intact and seems secure. The stock screws were in the badge, so I'm not worried about them having abraded the tank by being too long. I suspect the ledge inside the tank, or the points where the badge mounting strip is welded to the tank may be the culprits. Not sure.

In "the old days", I would have bought some Kreem...and then paid for it with carb rebuilds once the Kreem started peeling off. It appears that KBS makes a good fuel tank sealing kit. Same with RedKote and Caswell. POR-15 gets mixed reviews, and people seem to run and hide from Kreem.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Obviously, I want to keep the original paint on the tank so I'm shying away from external repairs, but if that's what it takes, so be it.

Thanks in advance! Gary in Maryland
Gary

1980 CBX

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Pin Hole Leak in Gas Tank

Post by cbxchris »

A friend had a pin hole in his RD tank and POR 15 fixed it !

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If your tank is spotlessly clean now, POR 15 will fix it. You still have to do all the prep as per instructions, but it will work. What does not work well is using POR15, or any liner, in a tank that was very rusty and, despite every attempt to get it all out, always fails. You can never get all the rust out, the welded seams just will not come clean. Good tank liners will still hold in many cases, but you can't count on it. The only way to be sure is to cut the bottom out of the tank, media blast the entire inside, weld up again, then line it.

But in your case, with an already clean tank with no rust, follow all the steps and POR 15 will work.

Dave

Wheels24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Wheels24 »

Thanks guys...POR-15 it is. Yes, the inside of the tank is essentially spotless from what I can see. I'll let you know how it works.

As an aside, a local Honda Dealer (Dutrow's, Frederick, MD) has a 1980 CBX on the floor for sale. Not stock...has been repainted silver...but a CBX nonetheless. The tank is all but completely gone...rusted through in places...worst one I've ever seen.
Gary

1980 CBX

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”