Replacing voltmeter needle.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Replacing voltmeter needle.

Post by sixinoz »

Voltmeter needle needs replacing so I order a needle but it comes without the round black centre bit that attaches to the spindle?? The old needle and centre bit appear to be molded in one piece as I have tried for the last hour to see if I can remove just the orange needle.
Can someone give me the rundown on how this is done?

Thanks.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Replacing voltmeter needle.

Post by EMS »

There is no procedure because "officially" needles were not replaceable. Many guys have worked on the instruments, though, and maybe someone can give you some instructions. I wonder where you sourced the needle?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Eventually I used a magnifying glass (eyesight not so good anymore) and determined that the needle is held in place by 2 tiny lugs on the bottom of the needle that go through the round mounting. I used a fine hacksaw blade to cut through the middle of the needle - from the top down to the black plastic of the round mounting. I could then prise the needle out of the groove bit by bit. New needle then just stuck into the groove with a tiny drop of epoxy glue.

Even though I used a hose clamp to limit the distortion of the outer ring , there was still some distortion which came good with a bit of filing and a repaint. Now looks good.

The needles I sourced from CB750faces.com in Holland. US$29.24 for all 3 needles plus postage to your destination. Moulding of the needle needed a little bit of trimming in places and colour is about right but a bit brighter than an old faded needle. Interestingly he also sells a set of 3 outer crimp rings for the gauges for US$81.81 which will give a much better result on restoration - especially if you have a "roller" type device to finish with - as I saw on this forum
I was going to order just the voltmeter needle from CBXPerformance as it says you can order separately on the website, but Bob says he only sells as a set for $75??

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”