80 Chain

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 80 Chain

Post by ajs350 »

Yes, the front sprocket says 620 and has 18 teeth. The rear says 411/4446S-42 and has 42 teeth. The chain is an RK 530XS0Z1 whic has 108 links which I need to cut down to 102. Do I have the right stuff?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Sadly, it sounds to me like you have a size mismatch between the new chain and the old sprockets. One of those has to go, either your new chain or your old sprockets. I vote for the sprockets :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

NilsMenten wrote:Sadly, it sounds to me like you have a size mismatch between the new chain and the old sprockets. One of those has to go, either your new chain or your old sprockets. I vote for the sprockets :-).

N.
Nils, the sprockets and chain are all new from Bob Franzke at CBX Peformance. If these are wrong what should I be asking him for? Looks like I need some help here. :cry:
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I think it's just a mistake. You need to have a matched set for size across all three. Look more carefully at the rear and see if you can find a size marking for 530 or 620 too. Or you can test-fit the chain to it, but I'd expect to find the size stamped into it.
Nils Menten

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have bought stuff from Bob and have been VERY happy with all my purchases.
Looks like the 620-18 is just a part number not a size number. You probably have the right parts but i would check with them for peace of mind.
http://cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/pr ... 3dbb2f5c0a
Have a look at the top of the page.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:I have bought stuff from Bob and have been VERY happy with all my purchases.
Looks like the 620-18 is just a part number not a size number. You probably have the right parts but i would check with them for peace of mind.
http://cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/pr ... 3dbb2f5c0a
Have a look at the top of the page.
You were right Steve. Just got an e-mail back from Bob and 620 is just a part number so it looks like I am good to go.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

SanDogDewey wrote:Is that a 620 spocket for your '80?
What is a '620 sprocket'? - Is there such a thing?

I'm aware of 420 chains, 520 chains and 630 chains, but a #620 is something new to me

Don

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Don wrote:
SanDogDewey wrote:Is that a 620 spocket for your '80?
What is a '620 sprocket'? - Is there such a thing?

I'm aware of 420 chains, 520 chains and 630 chains, but a #620 is something new to me

Don
Well you see Don, back in the old days all we had was 620s. We could only DREAM of 630 chains.

Yeah, that's it :oops:

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote: Well you see Don, back in the old days all we had was 620s. We could only DREAM of 630 chains.

Yeah, that's it :oops:

N.
Yeah, and these were terrible. They absorbed moisture out of the air and made the chain rust. The new ones are all fully synthetic and not polyglycol-based. They do not need to be changed for 25 years. Perfect fot the CBX which never gets ridden. Just parks in the garage. Next to the 1963 "split-window" Corvette, which also has a 630 now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :DD

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

EMS, if you have one of those old time 63 Vette's with the 620 antique chain, I'll trade you even up for both of my 81 CBX's

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I had a '58 Vette for 2 or 3 years when I was young - Bought it for $546 cash in 1967 and drove it home

If I had a clue, instead of selling it when I went overseas, I would have bought a garage and stored it

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

In the 70s, I had a 454 that I bought from a GI in Germany for resale. Drove it for 3 months until the cost for gas almost broke me. :D :D Probably got a little less than 10 MPG
Bought a new ZR1 in 1990. Was most certainly one of the very very few that paid less than sticker for it back then. Still have that. Older Corvettes don't do much for me anymore. They are hardly being driven and have little to offer other than looks.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

EMS, I had a 67 coupe and like Don if I knew what it would be worth today, I'd kept it garaged.
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

There is no other year that I would rather have than a '67 George - Nothing they have made since interests me in the slightest

True, the earlier cars up through '62 were 'parts bin specials' and had little to offer mechanically (drum brakes from a truck, ancient kingpin front suspension and steering from a '48 sedan. ball bearings, leaf sprung rear live axles from a '55 sedan and atrocious transmissions) but they had heaps of that Corvette mystique that the later cars just don't have an ounce of . . . . and they are still very desirable, as evidenced by the fact that you can have 2 or 3 of the newer ones for what the older ones sell for these days

I had a couple '57 Chevvies as a kid too - One two door hardtoip and one convertible. With the tens of thousands of those they made, who would have ever guessed they would be bringing $35 or $40K today?

Another car I wish I still had is my '71 240Z, but I racked up 175,000 miles and thoroughly wore that one out before I sold it including 3 years running it up and down the Autobahn all over Europe - Again, I'd much prefer to have a cherry 240 than any 350Z they sell these days. I pointed out a newish 350 to Carolyn the other day and told her that was what our old 240 had morphed into - "You're kidding" was all she could say

I had a '66 Corvair Corsa with the 4 carb 140 motor when we got married and I bought another one a few years ago. It was a nicer car than my first one, but it wasn't the same as owning the one back in the day that we had as our only car. Kept it 3 or 4 years and tripled my money on it and that completely eliminated any 'itch' I had of ever owning another old car

Absence makes the heart grow fonder - You completely forget about all the shortcomings of the old cars and what a pain in the ass they were to live with day to day compared to the comfort and reliability of today's modern cars

Don

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

For those interested, if you buy a chain that has no clip-type masterlink included, check with Bike Bandit, etc. They sell clip type master links separately for some of the chain brands. About $5.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”