Messed up my wheel and need help

Got3now
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Messed up my wheel and need help

Post by Got3now »

I began to take off the 5 nuts and bolts that hold the Comstar spokes to the hub. Thing I didn't see is that there is a pin in the end of the nut to prevent the nut from backing out. So after breaking three bolts off, I saw the pins.. So I need three bolts. They are kinda special and have a slot to pin the nut, and have a narrow washer head.. Can anyone help????????????????? Or point me in the direction of someone who can. The bolts are not listed as separate from the actual wheel parts available on the parts fische.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Messed up my wheel and need help

Post by NobleHops »

Gotta ask, why were you disassembling the spokes and rim of the wheel from the hub?

Stock wheels are surprisingly cheap, and in fact I have a set for a 79 - 1 is in GREAT condition and the other good to very good. You may want to punt when you see how reasonable a replacement wheel is...

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Got3now
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Got3now »

I am replating all the hardware and didn't realize the nuts were pinned. Who would have thunk?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No CBX Comstar wheel was meant to be taken apart and I think it states that in the service manual. You will not find those bolts. You'll have to get replacement standard bolts and lock the nuts somehow.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:No CBX Comstar wheel was meant to be taken apart and I think it states that in the service manual. You will not find those bolts. You'll have to get replacement standard bolts and lock the nuts somehow.

Dave

I second that and personally, I would throw these wheels in the trash and contact Louis for a replacement set of bolts that are still attached to wheels....

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

If you're after '79 wheels, this is what I have. The front is in excellent condition, the rear has nicks but could be made into excellent condition without too much heartache. I also have the sprocket and carrier for the rear. I'd be much happier to have these on someone's bike than in my attic. If you're interested we can figure out what a good price is - off the top of my head I do not know what that is.

N.

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Relative to Honda NOT supplying any wheel components: one word-----LIABILITY.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”