Kosman widened CB1100F rear wheel

onecool56
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Kosman widened CB1100F rear wheel

Post by onecool56 »

Looking for a 17"X 5" Kosman widened CB1100F rear wheel for my '79 CBX with CalFab 2" over swingarm. Please email me at

OneCool56@aol.com Thanks!

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I have a Kosman 1100f rim widened to 4.5" and have a 160 on there with stock 1100f rim and this plus an 1100f front makes the CBX early models what they should have been all along in the handling department.

The chances of you finding an 1100f rim already widened to more than 4.5" are slim at best because Kosman only offered 1.5" over stock rims until recently (4.5" max in the case of the 1100f rear rim) and that is why I had to settle for 4.5" vs 5.0" or 5.5"

You might consider buying an 1100f rim and having them widen it. They are around and not that expensive.

One last thing....check the tire specs on the tires you want. You might find that going to 5.5" is might be worth it since 170s will still fit this rim width.....but most 180s might require the 5.5" width and this now is the tire size of choice for most manufacturers on the 600s and bigger sport bikes

mike

Mike

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Thanks Mike! Kosman will make a 5" wheel but in order to do that they need to increase the diameter to 18". That still works as there are several 180/55-18 tires out there thanks to the V-Rod! There web sight reads like a menu though and everything costs. Looks like I might have to cough up $600 to get what I want. Do you know if any late model Honda rims will work with my set-up? I have a CB1100 front end already. Thanks for your help!

Jack

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

onecool56 wrote:Thanks Mike! Kosman will make a 5" wheel but in order to do that they need to increase the diameter to 18". That still works as there are several 180/55-18 tires out there thanks to the V-Rod! There web sight reads like a menu though and everything costs. Looks like I might have to cough up $600 to get what I want. Do you know if any late model Honda rims will work with my set-up? I have a CB1100 front end already. Thanks for your help!

Jack

Hi Jack

Hummmmmmmmmmm. What you are saying is the exact same criteria Kosman had 5 years or so ago when I had mine done. Max over was 1.5" which in the case of the 1100f rim would take it from 3.0" to 4.5"......and if you wanted more than that they had to increase the diameter 1 inch

The $600 cost is a shocker though. I paid $300 and others that have had this done since mine said it went up to $350 or so but $600 is new.

In the last Xpress there was a complete article by Al Bleyenberg on an econo newer bike front and rear transplant on his early model that looks and functions great (I rode the bike and it handles). Its starts on page 20.

If you are not a member, I can send it to you but for this and lots of other reasons (least of which is members sell CBX and other parts to other members for far less than you can get them other places) is a reason to join

At rallies, you will see many combinations of newer fronts/rears on CBXs.........keep in mind after 25 years someone or alot of people have done most there is to do on the CBX so whatever you want to do ....you are not out there alone today like many of us where that bought the CBXs new when there were no answers

Let me know

Mike

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Hello Mike. Here is the Kosman menu I spoke of.

SPECIAL SERVICES

WELD-UP WHEELS:

We 'invented' the weld-up wheel; and, in order to make a great product even better, we have completely upgraded the tooling to widen wheels. By utilizing new machining and welding fixtures, we can offer a better product and better turnaround time. We can widen your 17" wheel to accommodate newer style rubber. Wheels can be widened by 0.75" minimum to 1.5-1.75" maximum without increasing diameter. If you would like to increase the diameter by 1 to 2", for additional cost we can often go as wide as 10-10.5" depending on wheel. We can also change the diameter. If you want to put an 18" slick on your 17" wheel, we can increase the width and diameter of your wheel. Minimum width increase on this modification is 0.75".

WHL-WUP $425.00

Add $70.00 for diameter increase

Add $75.00 for asymmetrical offset

Add $100.00 for additional width beyond 1.5", subject to feasibility - typically requires a 1" increase in diameter

Here's how the Process works:

Looks like I start with $425 and have to pay an additional $70 for the diameter increase which is needed with the extra width and another $100 to go over 1.5". Looks like my wife will have to wait on that kidney transplant!

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Hi Jack

Agreeeee....$600 is some serious $ for widening the rim

You might want to consider the lower cost rim widening to 4.5" and save same some $.

There are some 170s that will fit on 4.5" also and I think the 160 like I have looks wide enough and has the factory balanced look on a twin shock CBX as where a 180 with the stock fender there and other things in my view looks tooooo big and out of proportion.

You can go here to see the 160 on my 80 and judge for yourself

Photoisland.com

Password and ID are mabarone cbx

Best and keep in touch now. BTW you can call me on this if you want. E me at team222@paonline.com and I will send you my 800

Mike

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Hey Mike, that 160 does look pretty beefy! I guess I am spoiled because I have two other bikes with Metzeler 200's on them. This is my newly aquired '79 that I plan to put the Kosman on. You might have seen it before. It is a running S.O.B.!

Jack

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

onecool56 wrote:Hey Mike, that 160 does look pretty beefy! I guess I am spoiled because I have two other bikes with Metzeler 200's on them. This is my newly aquired '79 that I plan to put the Kosman on. You might have seen it before. It is a running S.O.B.!

Jack

sharp bike. what shocks are on it and is that a late model motor or an early model painted.

also i have been contacted by a member that has a 1100f kosman widened rim. he is measuring it now and will post info here or get back to me. it could be avail to you but that is up to you and him.

is that front fender off an 1100f? it seems to sit a bit higher off the tire than i recall mine does.

like the paint job alot

mike

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Mike,

Not sure what the fender is off of. The front end with the exception of the upper tree is from a CB1100F. The rear shocks are Works Performance. It has a CalFab 2" over swing arm and 1100F wheels and brakes. It is a '79 motor and in addition has had the cams ground. The bike was built by Ted Yankovich in Tenn. in the late 90's. He had it dyno'ed at 90 RWHP. It really comes alive at about 7000RPM! It was painted with laquer and is starting to craze in a few places but still looks great! I bought the bike from a successive owner in AZ. I also have a bone stock '82 and a '81 project bike. I would definitley be interested in that Kosman wheel even being a 4.5". If you want, you can give your contact my email and he can contact me directly. Thanks! OneCool56@aol.com

Jack

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

5.5 1100f kosman

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

[quote="Mike Brown Barone #123

also i have been contacted by a member that has a 1100f kosman widened rim. he is measuring it now and will post info here or get back to me. it could be avail to you but that is up to you and him.

This is a 1100f 5.0 kosman welded rim.

Heres a comparison between my kosman 5.0 rim with a 170x60x17 and Mike's kosman 4.5 with a 160x70x17

mike's is all painted and pretty and mine is the way you get it back from kosman. also notice that my 5.0 kosman has the modern 2 step lip on the rim.

jb

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Hello Jeff,

I sent you an email before I read your post. Are you interested in selling the 5.0? Looks don't bother me, I polish everything I can get me hands on! In case you read this before your email my address is

onecool56@aol.com (And no, I'm not 56, my car is!)

Thanks.

Jack

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Jack, you have mail.

Is that one cool 56 a shoebox chevy?

jb

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Hello Jeff,

Got your email! Still very interested if you decide to sell the wheel. Here is my '56 Belair sedan. Built it about 5 years ago. I drive the s**t out of it (when I'm not on a bike).

Jack

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

That is beautiful, the stance is perfect for the wheel and rim selection you have. I also like the understated but classic paint and trim, whats under the hood and chassis mods?

I have a 57 belair but its about $20,000 shy of looking as good as yours,

heres a pic of it, lets see how long it takes you to find it.

I'll get back to you on the 5.0 rim.

jb

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Jeff,

I guess great minds think alike! (shoebox Chevy's and CBX's). That five-seven makes a great platform for storage. I built a '57 Hardtop after I did my '56. Traded it for a '32 Ford Roadster (glass). Felt guilty 'cause I had so many toys so I traded that for a '98 Corvette for my wife (Her dream car). My '56 has an '87 Iroc Tune-Port motor with siamese runners, hyperchip, and a few other goodies. Tranny is a T-5 five-speed. I did 2" drop spindles on the front and also cut one coil from the springs. The rear end is held up by a '85 Z-28 disc brake 10 bolt and 2" lowering block. I left the rear end stock width so when I got my wheels, I went with a 17X9.5 with a 6" backspace. Really fills up the wheelwell. 17X7's on the front. I painted this car in my garage and took about a year to finish it. I have about 7500 miles on it and it is getting a few rock chips. I take it to a few show and shines and the local burger joint. Red and black are my favorite colors and they really look cool together. Looks like you have had your '57 for awhile. I know what it's like to have several projects going at once (sucks). I always like to talk bikes and classic Chevy's. Sorry I rambled on. Jack

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”