I decided on a Pirelli

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I decided on a Pirelli

Post by Terry »

I'm trying the Sport Demon 120/90VB18. Only $107.21 delivered to my door from MAW. Discount Motorcycle Tire wanted $4. less but told me they would send it 1-2 weeks (after) they received my payment :!: Hard to believe they can stay in business. :shock: :lol: DMT has a good pic of it on their site, take a look. It should be on for the trip to Prospect. Let's see how many miles I can put on it before then. :) BTW the runner's up were the Michelin Macadam M50 and the Avon Super Venom AM18. I'll let you know how it holds up.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Gone With The Wind

Post by Terry »

Here's an update on those Pirellis. At about 4K the rear is showing some wear and probably won't last any longer than the 501 did (4,800K) but the front looks new. They have proven to stick very well in all conditions, save one. I'd never heard of this before and never had this (severe) of an experience but in a cross wind the bike tends to skid sideways WAY more than it ever did with other tires on it. In fact, no bike I've ever ridden has been (so) effected by cross winds. With the 501s on it just before the Pirellis, I felt the usual side movements that any X demonstrates in a strong gusty cross wind but ever since the Pirellis were mounted, I've noticed an increased propensity for the bike to simply go with the wind. Could there be any other cause? I have pro springs and 20w fork oil in the front. Might better rear shocks help or could the tire's tread or lack of tread cause this phenomenon?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Terry: Most likely, your wheel alignment front to rear is off, or your rear wheel itself is not aligned properly. Only way the tires could be the culprit is with too much air pressure.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks EMS for your guess but I'm still at a loss. The bike tracks very well and sticks in the corners equally well. The tires are wearing evenly and except for the problem mentioned, I have no other (symptoms). I've R&Rd both wheels many times and its hard to believe that I've somehow put them back on incorrectly. Shouldn't I have some other symptom if the alignment was off? BTW, I run 36 psi in the rear and 32 in the front and what I think may be at least partially at fault is I also have the stock original shocks. Suppose they aren't (mashing) the rear tire down enough in a straight line to hold the bike steady in a cross wind?

texascbx
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by texascbx »

You've probably done this but I always take string,wrap it around the rear tire at the back and run it up to the front tire(both sides).It's much easier with a helper.Ive never had a bike that the alignment marks on the swingarm were correct.When you find out the amount,compensate with the marks.I have even remarked a couple of bikes because they were so far off.Could be bad steering head bearings too.I've owned a couple of bikes where abuse(wheelies) had made a detent in the bearing.Only way to detect it is to remove front wheel,reducing weight enough that you can feel it by grasping the fork legs and turning side to side.These detents will really mess up a bikes handling in a straight line.Only cure is new races and bearings.Also make sure fork tubes are set in the triple clamps the same,seen several where one was higher or lower.

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”