Removing trip knob from speedometer

Roudoudou
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Removing trip knob from speedometer

Post by Roudoudou »

Hello, a new cbx owner from France.

I am doing a restoration and want to remove the trip knob, l read a lot on this forum but...

There is no screw into the knob.

When I unscrew the knob the mileage change 4321, 4311 etc until 0000.

If I try ito screw it's there is a very small resistance every turn but nothing append.

So I don't really know what to do ??

If you have any idea ;-)

Thank's

Didier

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Removing trip knob from speedometer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I know the later model CBX model do have a screw to retain the knob. The screw is deep within the knob. Use a small screw driver. NOTE: The thread of the screw is left-hand. That is -- rotate the screw cw (clockwise) to remove it. The knob will, then, pull off.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Roudoudou

Post by Roudoudou »

Larry Zimmer wrote:I know the later model CBX model do have a screw to retain the knob. The screw is deep within the knob. Use a small screw driver. NOTE: The thread of the screw is left-hand. That is -- rotate the screw cw (clockwise) to remove it. The knob will, then, pull off.
Thank you but as I said, there is no screw into the knob. Rotating clockwise as no result.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Could be somebody has put some Lock-tite on the thread.
Sometimes heat will work in that.
Some other ideas in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=10115

Welcome to the site.

Roudoudou

Post by Roudoudou »

Thank you, I will try that

danzx9r

Post by danzx9r »

Me too i think i have this model.. need screw

danzx9r

Post by danzx9r »

Someone have Larry Zimmer part??? with flat on trip knob? My have flat and no screw

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BillB »

I fussed with this yesterday on my 82. I searched here and found only a few threads, but not documented clearly at least in one place. So, I'll throw in my experience and some pics.

The screw is a tiny M2 x 6 pan head machine screw. It does NOT have reversed thread, so you turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE to remove it. This required a TINY Phillips screwdriver. I had to blunt the tip of the Phillips for it to engage the head. Alternatively, a tiny flat blade screwdriver about 2.5mm in width engaged the head nicely and turned the screw out. The knob and screw are no longer available from Honda (no surprise), although I did come across a knob on eBay US and saw the knob and screw on eBay overseas. The latest part number for the screw documented in a 2011 thread here is 90600-KJ9-700. I found M2-0.40 x 6mm panhead machine screws available various places online in bulk for a few $. Anyway, here are some pics. First one shows the knob, rubber boot, screw and a tiny rubber boot that came out on the screw head. I had to push the screw out of the knob shaft with a 1mm Allen. So, loosen the screw, but don't expect it to come out. Pull on the knob firmly and it will come off after the screw is fully backed off.

Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

It is important to know what year your CBX is. I don't believe you said which year. If it is a 1979 or, I believe, a 1980, then there is no screw. To remove the knob, you turn it CLOCKWISE. It's not always easy to do, because you cannot grip the shaft. If your CBX is a late model, the knob has a screw holding it on, as in the pictures above.
SCH Rochester, MN

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BillB »

I guess my signature, including both my bikes, mislead you. In the first line I did mention it was on my 82 that I was doing this. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the early and late models differed in this way. I just wanted to correct the misinformation about the thread direction and add a few bits about the nature of the screw. Of course, you are right that the 79 and 80 knobs screw off clockwise. I've done that on my 79 speedo before.
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

BillB wrote: This required a TINY Phillips screwdriver. I had to blunt the tip of the Phillips for it to engage the head.
The righ tools for the job make all the difference. The Japanese "Phillips" aren't Phillips, they are "JIS". I encourage evrybody who works on a Japanese bike and still has original screws on it to get a set of JIS screwdrivers. Makes life a lot easier.
Your wife will thank you that you aren't swearing so much anymore over mangled heads of cross-slot screws

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

BillB wrote:I guess my signature, including both my bikes, mislead you.
No, you did not mislead me. I was referring to the original poster for this thread. He did not specify the year of his CBX. At least I did not see it. And thanks for clearing up the thread direction on the screw. I noticed the error, but I did not say anything because you already had.
:-)
SCH Rochester, MN

VizCBX

Post by VizCBX »

Welcome Didier,

On the same topic I have a 79 CBX which has not had a Trip Knob since I bought it. I have finally got my hands on a Trip Knob however I'm having trouble installing it. I believe the knob is an 81-82 vintage because it has the tiny hole at the top of the knob and I see tell tale signs of screwdriver markings around that tiny hole.
Can anyone give any assistance on how this Trip Knob is to be installed in the speedo and also are there any differences in the older vs newer speedos that makes this trip knob unsuitable for my bike.

Cheers,
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Dave:

You have part of the trip meter reset gears stuck in the end of the knob. That part is not supposed to come out when the knob is removed. And if your knob shown has a hole in the recess for a screw, then it will not work on a '79-'80 speedometer. The early ones have reverse threads in the knob itself.

Dave

VizCBX

Post by VizCBX »

Damn,
Thanks for that info tho. :)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”