79 CBX with reproduction original exhaust

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 CBX with reproduction original exhaust

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:
NilsMenten wrote:
EMS wrote:Only those who do a half-ass job and cut corners will make money on a resto.
Testify brother! Can I get a witness?

:P

N.

I am not sure what I'm supposed to do.. :think: :?: :?
Shout "HALLELUJAH!" and "AMEN!", or possibly "SPEAK IT BROTHER!"

N., poking a little fun at some of the Christian faiths
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Yeah, doing a proper resto is a money loss situation.

I was going to do the Travesty up proper but the cost has gotten prohibitive. I am not cutting corners, she will be a beautiful machine but she will not be original as in shocks, tail piece, side covers, fork tubes and so on. A lot of NOS is out of my price ability. LPM tail piece for half of what I would pay a vendor for one that would still need repair/repaint. So for the guy looking for a concourse point machine my bike wouldn't cut it. For the guy looking for a rider that is cherry....he will get a deal because there is no way anyone will pay me for the hours of labor let alone the dollars for parts that the Travesty will have in it let alone the purchase price.

No, resurrecting a dying bike is a labor of love, your soul just gets lost within the process and it is comforting to look at the progress before turning out the lights for the night.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Restoring anything to factory new is usually a money losing endeavor - You frequently see old cars (Corvettes and the like) which had a small fortune 'invested' in them to get them to award winning condition sell at auction for half of what was spent on them and in some cases, that doesn't even include all the labor costs

For the 'average guy' restoring a bike, what's the point? Do you really want to own a 100 point correctly restored bike? Got a place set aside for it in your living room? You could never ride it or much of what you spent on it would quickly evaporate. Give me a correct looking 'rider' any day

Since I'd much rather ride them than look at them, mine isn't even truly 'correct looking' as so many things were changed and updated to make it a better rider but I enjoy it all the more and hardly a day goes by that someone who admires it doesn't come over and speak to me about it - Lots more folks admire it than if it was mounted in my living room

Don

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”