candy glory red

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

candy glory red

Post by broook »

:? In the tech specs for the 79 and 80 candy glory red the code given is "R-101C-U. What brand of paint is this?

Would my local UAP dealer be able to mix this with just that code?

I was also told a long time ago that Chrysler "Inferno Red" was a very close match. I can`t find this in any of the auto touch up paints here in Canada. What year and model had this color?

Bob Brook

Newfoundland

80x

Post by Guest »

Bob,

Chrysler's part # for a 1/2 oz bottle of that paint in touch-up bottle form is 05013697AA. I used it for a 1" scratch on the side of my CGR tank, and it was pretty close, but definitely NOT :oops: a perfect match by any means. From a distance though, it's not bad at all. :wink:

Steve #5526

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Paint

Post by EMS »

For one thing, red is one of the most difficult colors to match, as any good painter will tell you. And then, touching up Honda's Candy Glory Red successfully is almost impossible. The top coat is painted over a base coat of silver, (like many Honda colors) which gives the paint a certain hue a touch-up is not going to duplicate.

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

EMS is correct about red being a pain. My red 79's tank is faded on one side from sitting for months at a time at the Navy base in San Diego. What is unusual is that the silver base is intact as well as the clear but the red is almost gone! A body shop that does custom ( ie. not drag them in -shoot them-and push them out ) work should have no problem painting your tank. Just make sure to give them the codes and and pictures of the stripes because they are under the clear. Good luck.
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

candy glory red

Post by broook »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I now have the situation almost under control now.

Stripes came today and am in contact with Color Brite for base coat, top and clear coat.

Thanks.

Bob

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Candy Glory Red

Post by Passx »

Brooke,

If your are dealing with the Color-Rite people be careful, I had a bad experience with them and they definitely do not stand behind their products. I used to have a "body shop" but have been out of the business for a while (to many irons in the fire) but I had a good friend who is still in the business and quite capable paint mine, well to make a long story short I never looked in the can , I just gave it to my friend who figured that it was right, my 80 is now a beautiful candy black cherry. Color-Rite said they would make it right and told me that the sample that I sent back was definitely incorrect and after months of we'll take care of it it turned into who are you ? A number of people in the Classic Wing Club that I also belong have had the same experience. If you either take the tank to a local reputable paint supplier or to the painter that your going to have do the work they can scan the bottom where it hasn't faded and match it up and you'll have somebody close that you can wrap your fingers around the their throat if things are not right. I just cannot give my money to people of the Color-Rite mentality, anyway good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Steve P. #5220

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”