Newly aquired bike question

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Newly aquired bike question

Post by cross »

Hi guys,

Few weeks ago i acquired another bike, not CBX and do have a question for engine gurus here.
So, the bike in question is an '01 Valkyrie, with 6k miles and pristine condition. Got it from a trust sale and it's been on non op since '03, original tires and absolutely pristine condition. When starting, the starter made brief clunking noise and i asked them to take off the starter to see if its starter idle gear.
This confirmed my suspicion that the idle gear tooth is broken, only one. Bike ran fine when we started it, no weird noises. We made a deal and i brought it home.
Now, i've researched it and read on valkyrie forum that some guys rode like that for years before had to replace it but others say not to ride it like that but to replace it. This is a big job as the engine needs to be dropped and rear cover and clutch removed.
My question for engine experts on here is, should i replace it or just ride it like this until i can?

Thank you
Sasha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Newly aquired bike question

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I think both gearheadgregg and desertrefugee have a Valkyrie.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

With the one tooth breaking off be careful that it's not bouncing around waiting to to damage.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Not to be a 'wet blanket', BUT: My concern would be that this is increasing the load on adjacent teeth. If one of them has broken, it would suggest to me that one, or both, of the nearest will be next due to overload, if nothing else. That said, I do not have any direct experience with this bike.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

That’s what I was thinking as well. It will eventually need to be done and it’s better now when not much is damaged.
I’ll get the engine out as soon I finish my cbx
Thank you guys
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Neat bike, Sasha. Shame about the starter thing. Hopefully, it was a 'good' deal. Referring to Michael's comment, you might want to drop the oil pan to look for the missing tooth just to be certain it is 'gone' out of harm's way,. (You likely thought of that. Just mentioned though......)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

:think:
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:37 pm
Neat bike, Sasha. Shame about the starter thing. Hopefully, it was a 'good' deal. Referring to Michael's comment, you might want to drop the oil pan to look for the missing tooth just to be certain it is 'gone' out of harm's way,. (You likely thought of that. Just mentioned though......)
It was a good deal and the bike is like out of a showroom. I understood what’s involved to fix it and the fact that I can do this myself so I bought it. I was lucky to hear it crank and start when I was there and heard clunk. These bikes are prone to hydrolocking due to faulty vacuum petcock. Owner let me take the started out and when I looked inside I saw broken tooth. Otherwise I was prepared to pay a lot more for it. This engine does not have oil pan and even if it did it wouldn’t help because these gears are behind the back cover along with clutch. It kind of looks like bell housing on a cars transmission. I have to make few extra deep sockets and as soon I get my cbx done I’ll attack it.
Thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

That broken tooth could even be from a past hydrolock situation. While the Valkyrie tends to the weather the storm fairly well, and doesn't bend rods like 4 cylinder goldwings or punch holes in the case like the CBX, the starter can suffer. That definitely needs to be sorted out.

And while the bike certainly looks clean, that is not original paint.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Bike has been on non op since ‘06 and it was sold out of a trust after the owner died. The person responsible for selling everything said that when they put new battery, bike wouldn’t turn over right away but eventually did and after started making this metallic noise when starting.

This color combo was only one year. 2001. They had black with silver stripe, black with red and this blue with white stripe. I’ve been looking for this color combo for long time, not many around. I did own black with silver stripe many years ago.
Thanks
Last edited by cross on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

You are absolutely right. I forgot about that striped scheme. (Didn't see the white at first). They are not common.

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

desertrefugee wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 pm
You are absolutely right. I forgot about that striped scheme. (Didn't see the white at first). They are not common.
Do you by any chance have two of the special sockets for clutch (46mm) and output shaft (36)?

Thank you
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Sorry Sasha, but I don't. (I do have a CBX clutch nut socket though). I forget the size I don't know if it would work on the Valkyrie clutch retaining bolt.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I’m not sure if it’s same. This one is 12 point 46mm, extra deep and for the output shaft is 12 point 36mm, also extra deep. I’ll have to get some and have them cut and extended. It’s going to be quiet of a project getting that little gear replaced 😂
Thank you

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”