Damn.....the thing smokes pretty bad

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Damn.....the thing smokes pretty bad

Post by Crazy Canuck »

So I’ve spent a year giving my new to me bike a nice facelift, and the thing looks pretty nice for a 41 year old girl.
Problem is I never saw it run prior to buying it, so didn’t know much about the engine or issues with it. So it seems like valve seals are a big issue now as the thing smokes pretty heavy on start up, and while decelerating. This is the only squawk I have right now, so I know what I’ll be doing this winter.
Hopefully I can get in some good riding prior to the cold weather arriving.

Is head removal a must for doing this, or is there a farmer fix for doing it? :tools-hammerdrill:
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Damn.....the thing smokes pretty bad

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Have a read through this thread.
Head off to do a complete job.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8205

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Yes, head off for valve seals, Joe. For what it's worth here's my experience with smoke: '82 with 50k. Uses a quart in 750 miles of x-way running. (Better at lower loads/speeds.) Had to do a head job for burned valve. Installed new Viton seals in the process. No difference in oil consumption. Runs good. So -- valve stem seals??? P.S. Pulling the head is not the worst job going. Good opportunity to check the carbs. Maybe break the rack apart and replace all the orings there with Viton. The old original seals ARE going to leak sometime.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Ok....so it looks like I have to remove the head.....that’s ok, I just wanted to know if it was possible without doing that.
I just redid the carbs with the kit from Randakks along with new carb to engine rubbers, so I’m good there.
Since this is the only issue I have with the bike, I’d like to at least try some fresh seals and see what it does for me....maybe some fresh rings and a quick hone as well.....Time to start some fall shopping to get this fixed up.

Thanks for the replies guys

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you're pulling the head, the base gasket will likely break it's seal anyway, and I never trusted just tightening it down again. Yes, pull the cylinder too, clean things up and get everything measured. The pistons will likely measure as new. The cylinders will be worn, with some taper, but don't mix up the pistons, measure cylinder-to-piston clearance. If they are within spec, hone the cylinders and install new rings. Good standard rings are available at cbxperformance. He carries the gaskets too. Genesound here has viton stem seals. But be prepared for the exhaust valves to be shot. They will not lap in as they will be too pitted. The seats should be lightly cut and new exhaust valves installed. The intakes will likely be fine with light lapping.

Dave

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Thanks for that insight Dave, that's some really good info there.
My bike only has about 47000 KM on it, but the engine is not original....I was told that is is a low mileage engine in there now, but he was trying to sell me the bike.....

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”