cb1100f wheels

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

cb1100f wheels

Post by johnod »

I'm looking at some 1100f wheels, gold boomerang type, does anyone know what the finish is, and what is involved in refinishing them?

thanks

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: cb1100f wheels

Post by EMS »

The gold "boomerang" Comstars are anodized. Anodizing is a process where an aluminum surface is being "oxydized" by having the workpiece resume the role of the "anode" in an electrolytical bath. There are processes that remove that top layer and you can re-anodize the wheels, but I doubt that this would be a cost-effective thing to do.
Alternatives are painting or powder coating.

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

Thanks for the reply.
I thought they were anodized, just wasn't sure. Thats to bad about the process to re anodize, i kinda like that gold color.

Have you had experience powder coating comstar wheels, does the heat effect the composite wheel in any negative way, that you know?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I know that Dennis Sherry had a Prolink rear wheel powdercoated silver to match the front of his '79 and he is happy with it.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

John, this is a lousy picture but in the bottom corner you can see a boomerang Comstar that i had powder-coated gloss black.
I have them on my naked '81.
Fingers crossed on new pics.

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1&image_id=3705

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

Hey Steve

Thanks for the pic, the black looks good,any problems with it after the powder coating?

That looks like quite the project you have there, looks good, I'd like to see how that finishes.
I noticed you have an odd number of the gold comstars, thats gotta be a problem, you better send it to me right away, before you trip over it. Ya thats the ticket.

thanks

john

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

Steve

I just noticed your GS nice.. I have an 82 GSX1100S Katana as well, thats a great motor, love those things, was going to get an 83 as well but bought the CBX instead. Gearheads.....What can you do with em? lol

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

No problems at all with the powdercoating, John. A couple of tire changes have not marked them...yet. I put that down to the proper guy with the proper machine.
Performance Coating in St. Catharines charged me only $150.00 for blasting and coating 2 GSXR wheels last summer.
The hot rod Suzuki is a fun bike, although i have not ridden it for 2 years. Insurance costs among other things.
Are you on the www.GSResources.com website?

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

Ya the bloody ins. i know what you're talking about, best i found is about 750. for bare min.
Yep am on the GS resource as well, same name.
Maybe we'll meet sometime.

Thanks again

john

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”