Who has interest in Racetech rear suspension/for Pro-link?

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Who has interest in Racetech rear suspension/for Pro-link?

Post by RJ CB650 »

So an issue with my rear suspension on my 82. Is still the air and want to replace it so I don't blow it or wear it beyond serviceability.

Progressive Customer service response to some technical questions immediately put me to the no zone on their stuff from now on.

Been in contact with race-tech. While the Pro-link became a long running suspension, they are apprehensive about supplying one for the bike without actually being able to test and fit on an actual road bike. They also say that for a low run bike, it means they probably would not be able to freebee one out. But am curious how many people would be interested in this for their Pro-link CBX? Anybody also in south cali that perhaps would be also interested in usage for mockup?

Else any other options besides the progressive 465....

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Who has interest in Racetech rear suspension/for Pro-lin

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Don't know anything about the Racetech for the rear. I do know that I'm plenty happy with the Progressive 465.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I also have Progressive 465 and love it. I think one other option is Hagon from UK at more money and not big support in the US in the case of warranty claim
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

RJ, curious as to how your dealings with Progressive Tech went south?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't overthink this one - just buy the Progressive and be done with it. It will do everything and more that you'll ever want to do with a Pro-Link on the street. There are also a couple of other off-the-shelf options out there if you don't like dealing with Progressive. I'd go that route rather than be a test case for Race-Tech.

Dave

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

One other bit of input: the RaceTech gold valves are worth it for the forks. DIY for about $150.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Hiya all.

To answer all the questions, I am overhauling the suspension for the spring for the bike. I am doing a 100% rebuild on the front right down to new slide tubes and the Racetech valves, new springs, etc. Only thing not new in the front is the bottom tubes, the dampers, and the caps.

As to the issues with the rear and progressive. Is two fold. First is my parts guy I get stuff brought in with, didn't have the correct 465 P/N assembly listed that is needed for the CBX. On the website, it also no longer had the remote preload adjust that I thought it used to have. I was in contact with racetech the same time I contacted progressive to ask questions about the RAP and about getting in Canada plus another couple technical questions. After days of no word, I got a single sentence reply that "It is not available with RAP" and not addressing any of the technical questions. The RAP, question was only on the end as a side note in my email.

What are the other off the shelf options? I couldn't find any?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The CBX Progressive never had remote adjustments. I’ll get back to you on other options.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Thanks Dave. Been so busy, I have neglected the forums since you last saw me. Just kept working on the bike. It actually won best bike of show at the largest show our city hosts last year. I am planning on getting it all good for longer rides next year. We do a big vintage bike rally and get together, so that will be a 700km round tripper ^.^ It is one of the driving factor in finally pulling out the air, just to be fully ready.

budanddar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by budanddar »

Hi fellas,

This is Bud from Palm Desert CA. Have a 1981 and have a problem with the dash warning light for the air mono shock. It appears to be an issue with the wiring not the actual pressure switch so the light stays on. What you are saying is to replace the mono shock with these other products? My guess is that technology has changed and the air ride is no longer used.

Bud

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The stock rear shock on the Pro-Links were junk from day one. Replacing it is the best thing you can do to the bike. Since the thread began, our friend Nils from Resto-Cycle carries Ikon’s new rear shock for the Pro-Link. It has proven to be a sound option as well after a recent 2000 mile test ride.

Dave

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”