Exhaust gaskets

Vince Pankoke
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exhaust gaskets

Post by Vince Pankoke »

While removing my 6-1 pipes from my new toy I didn't see any of the copper exhaust gaskets that all of the suppliers offer. I did notice fiber type gaskets though. Whats the scoop on the correct gaskets..are copper the best and were they the stock gaskets for the original pipes?
79 CBX, 71 H1A

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Copper crush gaskets OEM, can be re-used couple of times.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Vince Pankoke

Post by Vince Pankoke »

Thanks Andy .is it best to use the copper type or is the fiber type (probably asbestos) I have O.K.
79 CBX, 71 H1A

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Exhaust gaskets

Post by EMS »

The original OEM gaskets on the CBX were not copper. The later and aftermarket copper crush gaskets are superior to the original ones, but I am not so sure about them being reusable.

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Hmmm, you learn something new everyday! :o
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Exhaust gaskets

Post by Dave Ditner »

The original gaskets were asbestos rings wrapped with a fine copper wire, probably an asbestos strand formed into a circle and held there with the wire. All of the gaskets, copper or asbestos, crush when used, but can be reused if the same pipe is installed in the same position, and the clamp bars and rings are reinstalled as removed, with the bolts tightened properly. Difficult, but not impossible. If you try it and it's wrong, you'll hear a pop in the exhaust on decel..

New pipe will require new gaskets.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

If your ever in a bind for gaskets, early gold wing exhaust gaskets are the correct size.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Copper Exhaust Gaskets That Work in the CBX

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi vince/all

james elliott (director in canada) used to sell copper based gaskets that are oem kawa parts that are far superior to the oem honda cbx fiber ones

they are cheaper also

you can contact him at elliott@skynet.ca and his phone is in the directors page of the current xpress page 9

>>>>

mini story on oem honda cbx exhaust gaskets.

long ago bud and i were on ride in mountains of wva. we met a guy on newer bike at a lunch stop who said he would show us great twistie roads.

welllllllla ......this turned out to be more of a "can you keep up" than a "show us the the twisties" ride. one thing lead to another and ole x was finally able to get by this guy and pull a gap

after a mile or so up the road i begin to heard his bike behind me again. what the hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. turns were too tight to look back so i picked up the pace. this guy still kept up.

i shifted........he shifted. he stayed right there and close. who in the heck was this guy ...mike hailwood

after two or so miles of this and not being able to look back due to how tight the turns were i was happy to see the sign for T in the road. at the stop sign i looked back to find

....no one

then i blipped the x throttle and heard the other bike.......one of the oem honda cbx fiber exhaust gaskets blew out and the resulting noise i thought was another bike .....was my cbx..........so i was infact duking it out with myself all this time.

when i got home i called or emailed james for the copper gaskets and that ended this story forever..... almost.

my budz that was with me that day later got als (lou gehrig disease)..... but to the end he would always get a big smile when i would try to entertain him a bit by telling this story as part of going over the rides and fun we had

e or call james and that will take care of it for you. if he doesnt sell them anymore ask him what the part number is

best

mike

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”