Kerker 6 into 2 Jetting

nzfrank
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Kerker 6 into 2 Jetting

Post by nzfrank »

Hi
I have bought a Kerker 6 into 2 system, unused.
Can someone advise what jetting change (if any) is needed?
Many thanks
Kind Regards from New Zealand
s-l16001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Kerker 6 into 2 Jetting

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Frank.
If you retain the stock airbox and filter the stock jetting should be fine.

nzfrank

Post by nzfrank »

Many thanks. Fast reply!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Welcome Frank, have you pulled an end cap and baffle to see if they have the street or race version baffles and what the baffle packing looks like?

nzfrank

Post by nzfrank »

Hi
I have not removed any caps, so I do not know whether road or race baffles.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

nzfrank wrote:Hi
I have not removed any caps, so I do not know whether road or race baffles.
If they are unused the end caps should slide out easily with the baffle attached, long baffle is the street, the short is the race, so the race baffle will be much less restrictive and a whole lot louder! The street baffle would be best for a stock carb setup.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is some exhaust and carb 101 that any engine tuner worth his salt will tell you:
You need to consider what you are trying to do -
- have your motor run nice across the rpm band or
- deliver maximum performance
Why is there a difference? - let's look at that (at the risk that some wthout a degree may bark)
When a cylinder takes in air and gasoline and air/fuel mixture - in other words: jetting - is concerned, the exhaust valve is closed. The exhaust could probably care less what jetting is in the carbs.
Optimum jetting is a factor of air intake, i.e: airbox, intake tract. When this is tuned properly, the motor will idle fine and will - most likely - accept throttle in a smooth response over the rpm band.
A different exhaust will not change that.
When a cylinder discharges a burned load, the exhaust comes into play. The restriction in the exhaust will determine scavenging of spent gases and ability of the cylinder to reload.
If you want maximum performance at full throttle, you may not get this after you changed your exhaust and did nothing else.
A run on the dynamometer will tell you to rejet the carbs or do something else, less restrictive on the intake side.

There is a lot more detail to this, but it is a simple explanation why performance motors deliver peak at a certain rpm point or range and may be lousy when it comes to idle or roll on performance, for example.
I have used a variety of exhausts on my CBXes from stock to Suppertrapps (with different numbers of discs) to a 6-1 Schuele and a 6-6 Pipemaster and the jetting never had to be changed when rideability was desired and they never ran bad with stock jettings. They may not have made maximum power....then again, I never drag-raced any of them or operated them above 8000rpm for an extended period of time...
Food for thought.

nzfrank

Post by nzfrank »

Hi
Long baffle is street, short is race. Good. How long is long? Thanks

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

nzfrank wrote:Hi
Long baffle is street, short is race. Good. How long is long? Thanks
It's a bit longer than the can. So when you remove the can form the header, you'll see it sticking out as part of it goes into the collector

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

I have the street baffles in my Kerkers. Standard jetting and standard airbox. Runs perfectly from idle to redline and at any throttle opening - sounds and looks good.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

NZFrank - if you find an unused chrome set of Kerkers give me a shout. :lol:
I have been searching for chrome headers in very good condition for ages but they are rarely for sale.
If you don't clean where pipes join you get pitting and other corrosion and the PO neglected to do this.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

There were three (3) different baffles available. As Jeff noted, they can be long or short, but also vary in diameter. The "Q", for quiet, baffle is the smallest diameter and the same length as the "street". Both the "Q" and "Street had a slight bend at the end where they slide into the lower part of the muffler body.

EDIT: THinking back, perhaps only the "Q" baffle had the kink that descended into the lower portion of the muffler. It may have had the same core diameter as the "street", just longer. It's been a lot of years since I had one in my grubby little paws........
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

NZFrank, I have my 79 in Auckland fitted with chrome Kerkers and havnt touched the jetting at all...its stock everything, except for the filter which is a K & N. Ive fitted 530 chain and sprockets and its transformed the bike - much funner [?] to ride with each gear stretched out about 3 mph is my guess and just makse the bike so much more relaxed at 120 kph...and each gear goes further without having to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere.
I also have a set of stainless Supertrapps Im shipping down with my kit '80 shortly and Im going to try the ST's on my bike before deciding whether to sell either the ST's or the chrome Kerkers.
Long story short Ive accumulated a 1980 motor [currently in my 79 in AKL - the 79 engine was blown up]] and all the bits to assemble a 1980 so when it hits NZ in August Im going to sell the kit including either the ST's or the Kerkers as part of the package. Ill then install the restored 79 motor Im sending with the kit into my 79 rolling chassis.
Al

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you've changed to 530 chain and sprockets, and notice 'stretched' gearing, then you didn't use the correct 18/42 sprocket combo. Sounds like you used a 40 tooth rear sprocket instead. 18/42 and 15/35 are exactly the same gearing.

Dave

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”