First 60 days with Pipemasters

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: First 60 days with Pipemasters

Post by daves79x »

Benny - do not alter the stock jetting for the Pipemasters, it is totally unnecessary. Use the stock foam replacement filter sock (they are available form David Silver and Six Center, NLA from Honda, or the stock-type paper filter, also available from those sources and elsewhere). Do not be tempted to us the K&N replacement filter.

As to your carbs - if they have never been separated for a complete cleaning and o-ring replacement, you need to do or have that done now while they are off the bike. You are just asking for trouble if you don't do all that. Original o-rings are 40 years old and they are all failing by now. That may be more than you are planning to do, but you'll be doing it all again very soon if you don't do it now. Randakk and Mike Nixon and others offer Viton o-ring kits.

Dave

Benny Edward
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Benny Edward »

daves79x wrote:Benny - do not alter the stock jetting for the Pipemasters, it is totally unnecessary.
Use the stock foam replacement filter sock (they are available form David Silver and Six Center, NLA from Honda, or the stock-type paper filter, also available from those sources and elsewhere).
Do not be tempted to us the K&N replacement filter.
Randakk and Mike Nixon and others offer Viton o-ring kits.

Dave
That seems to be the consensus, many have advised me to just leave the jetting be.
I need to order the sock replacement, and I have David silver spares open in my web browser getting ready to order.
K&N isn't an option for me as I'm trying to keep the bike stock(aside from the PipeMasters that is), and the factory air box is an important facet of keeping it looking stock to me.
Can u send me a link for what to buy in way of o rings. I want to do this right the first time.

Pipemasters arrived last month and look incredible. Couple scratches from shipping oversees that will be visible after installation on lower pipe, so that was a bit of a bummer, and I don't want to try and polish them out in fear of dulling the chrome in that spot and have it more noticeable Than before. I haven't started on this project but will soon. I'm enlisting he help of an expert MC mechanic that will provide more knowledge than I have at my disposal, but getting the star aligned for us to both be free at the same time will be hard.
Pics and a new thread will follow soon as time allows.
For now a god bless, and health and happiness to you all for 2020!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Carb kits, o-rings, manifolds and other carb related bits can be found on the Randakks site.
https://www.randakks.com/honda-cbx/carb ... -kits.html

Just curious on the damage occurring in shipping.
If you think it was poor packaging from PipeMasters they should be informed or if it was rough handling was there not insurance?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

Pipemasters are stainless steel rather than chromed steel aren't they? In which case polishing out minor marks should be OK.

Paul.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

They make/made a full stainless system and a chromed steel header with stainless muffler system.

Irishman1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Irishman1 »

Just for info, I have new pipe masters on my 79 and no jetting required. Runs and sounds awesome
ICOA # 6786
Retired, now my job is restoring old hondas!
Bike in the garage right now:
1979 CBX1000 red
1980 CBX1000 red
1981 CBX1000 prolink
1975 gl1000 blue
1975 gl1000 red
1975 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1975 gl1000 red
1976 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1977 gl1000 black
1977 gl1000 blue
1977 gl1000 black
1978 cb750f super sport
1979 cb750f super sport

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

I appreciate the feedback. My mechanic is going thru my carbs right now. He seemed skeptical that a rejet would not be required to get it to run perfect. He's concerned and doesn't want to be responsible for bluing the headers if it's not perfect. I told him to do his own research but sounds like everything I've been getting from the community here is there is a large consensus that it's absolutely fine with stock jetting. My CBX project is taking way longer than I hoped but making progress. If I like it enough when finished I may consider letting go of my factory exhaust, but I wonder what Would be a fair price for it. I probably wouldn't part with it but I've been feeling a big push from the wife to liquidate it. I'm not prepared for her to win out on this, because if I got rid of it and decided to go back to stock I'd be stuck with the reproduction sets as my option. I like having the correct stamping from Honda for ultimate authenticity. Give me some feedback to show my wife telling me what an idiot I'd have to be to let go of near mint factory Honda CBX exhaust. She doesn't understand!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you got the full stainless version of the Pipemasters (maybe all they make now - used to make steel headers and stainless cans), they'll discolor no mater what jetting you have. Stock jetting is fine. If space, or recovering some of the cost of the Pipemasters are not issues, keep the stock pipes.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Fair argument might be that the day will come that you will no longer be able to ride; and, will, then, likely sell the CBX. It will be worth considerably more with the stock pipes. AND, the Pipemasters will go for a good $$, also. SO -- it's an overall profitable thing to keep them! Best of luck! :-)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 pm
Welcome to the site, Benny.
How about a separate thread with an introduction and a pic of your bike.

I would like to hear the jetting recommendation from PipeMasters themselves.
Had two sets and when i retained the stock airbox and oem air filter the stock jetting was fine.
To Quote Peter Gray in the email I spoke of:
"I would keep your airbox and I recommend standard jetting..
If you want to play around I would put a size larger main jet, lift the needle one clip and put one size smaller idle jet in ."

He went on to say that Jan Ringnalda would have the best advice on this matter. I was never able to get in touch with Mr. Ringnalda whom I guess used to race a couple CBX's. After perusing the forums and seeking the advice of many folks, I decided to retain the stock jetting. Carbs are cleaned and back on the bike, but we've found other issues that need attention and the bike is still torn apart. I may just start a thread on this project and thoroughly update you all. Hope all is well with you Mr Murdoch. I'm excited to make progress on my CBX project, but it's slow going as time is limited... I have a 11 month old daughter in the house and a 7 year old girl as well. She's actually helped me at times on the CBX, like holding the exhaust header clamps as I removed the pipes lol.. Looking forward to hearing these pipes, but much work to do to get there. I'll update sooner next time... bye for now.

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

daves79x wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 am
The foam socks only last a few years anyway. You can still get replacements, just not form Honda. I think David Silver has them as well as Six Center. Yes, do get a filter on the cage.

Dave
How necessary is the foam sock on the air filter. Mine turned to dust and I threw away the filter. I have a new Emgo filter to put on but no sock. I was just going to tune it with filter and no foam sock and run it that way. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

daves79x wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:43 am
If you got the full stainless version of the Pipemasters (maybe all they make now - used to make steel headers and stainless cans), they'll discolor no mater what jetting you have. Stock jetting is fine. If space, or recovering some of the cost of the Pipemasters are not issues, keep the stock pipes.

Dave
My pipe masters are all chrome. I don't think I could part with the factory pipes, even though I've ran the idea thru my head. But I am super curious as to what they are worth though. Space isn't an issue at the moment as they are in my garage attic aka, the parts department. However, I will be renovating the house next year and finishing the attic and knocking out a wall to make a mother in law quarters so we can all live together. At that time, space will become somewhat of an issue and I'll have to relocate this stuff. But these pipes are so gorgeous, I think I'd make a display shelf for them in the garage. Its a 4 stall garage with high ceilings so this could be done without much issue. If I love these pipe masters as much as I think I will, maybe I'll lose sight of a scenario that the stock pipes would go back on. So, my mind may change in the future. We'll see. For now, I need to make more progress on this project. I want to ride my CBX yet this summer. At this rate its going to be more like fall though. Hopefully I can get my butt in gear

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

About the air filter - if you have the stock early filter mesh cage - you must use the foam sock on it. NOS and reproduction socks are available, but not from Honda. Or you can toss that whole thing and install a paper element that the Pro-Links had, also NLA from Honda, but good reproductions are available many places.

Dave

Benny Edward

Post by Benny Edward »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 pm
Welcome to the site, Benny.
How about a separate thread with an introduction and a pic of your bike.
Here it is
https://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 828#p95828

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”