Anyone with RICK'S Motorsport CDI ?

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Anyone with RICK'S Motorsport CDI ?

Post by Crazy Canuck »

To go along with my other thread on coils, and then kindly steered to looking at my Spark units ( which are oozing the black goo) I'm looking for something that is plug and play.
Rick's seems to be reasonably priced and am wondering if anyone has experience with these, are they a solid reliable piece?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393312901627?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Anyone with RICK'S Motorsport CDI ?

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:15 am
Many threads on this subject.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10758&hilit=ricks+spark+units
Yes I've read through all those threads, but no solid info on the Ricks unit. I'm not particularly interested in putting on the 81-82 and up units on where you need to splice in a middle harness, or doing the Dyna unit. I'm just looking to unplug my old one and plug in a new one.
Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and try one if nobody has....

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

I would look at the Ignitech unit, was completely plug & play on my '79 Z restoration.

https://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 385#p98385
2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

shiskowd wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:42 pm
I would look at the Ignitech unit, was completely plug & play on my '79 Z restoration.

https://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 385#p98385
Thanks for that, but I already pulled the trigger on the ricks unit....we'll see how it works out.

JWD
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by JWD »

What do you think of the Rick's CDI?

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

It just arrived this week and I don't have it installed yet, But will put up pics and thoughts later...

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

For those that are interested, I installed my "Ricks" spark unit the other day and it really couldn't have been an easier install....just accessing it is the only issue. I chose to remove the rear tire, the fenders (inner and outer,) and also did some cleaning and detailing while I was there....start to finish was two hours, could easily be done in under an hour if desired.....beer, standing around admiring my work, and a little garage tidying took a little longer.
This unit is plug and play....just remove the old unit, bolt the new one in and then attach and secure the three plugs....it's that easy.
My bike started right up after the install....I haven't gone for a spin yet, but will report back when I do.

Not sure why the pics are all sideways, I couldn't fix it...

Here's some pics...
The unit right out of the box
20210612_120419.jpg
Made in Argentina
20210612_120450.jpg

New unit compared to old one
20210612_121717.jpg
Bolts right in to original holes
20210612_123005.jpg
The two plugs I'm pointing at as well as the white plug above my pinky are all you have to plug in using original style plugs.
20210612_123126.jpg
Sludge tank fits as well
20210612_124327.jpg
My old unit with soft to the touch potting compound....you can see my finger print
20210612_121834.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Nice post, Forrest! Thanks ever so much. We will await your ride report. Certainly looks to be a winner.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I get the "standing around admiring my work" but the "garage tidying"....that's something i not familiar with.
Looking forward to the follow-up report.

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

All was ok with a quick 40 min ride today, will report back when we are out for a longer ride...

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Nice pics of your install Crazy Canuck, and they look great. A small point of clarification you may find interesting. The ignition on a CBX is technically not CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition as used in early Kawasaki 2 stroke triples) but Honda actually called it TPI - Transistorised Point-less Ignition.

The TPI ignition was developed for the CBX in order to comply with the strict EPA regulations in force back in the late 70's. These regulations mandated no servicing of the ignition system for 2 years from when the vehicle was sold new. A 2-year hiatus from ignition servicing was never, ever gonna' happen with the old Kettering points and condenser ignition systems, hence this forced Honda (and no doubt other manufacturers) to create the new 'TPI' design.

The TPI ignition system is still technically the old Kettering ignition system, with the dual functionality of the points (that does both the ignition timing AND the mechanical closing of the electrical circuit, clever huh?) now 'split' between two separate components - the 3x pulsers (under the cover at 2 o'clock on the clutch cover) doing the 'timing' part and the transistorised high-speed switches embedded in your shiny new Ricks igniters doing the ignition 'circuit closing' job.

And many thanks to Mike Nixon for his excellent article on CBX ignition that provides interesting background - and yes, he taught me all I know about this stuff. Hope this helps and enjoy the improvements in how your CBX runs with the new ignition.
https://motorcycleproject.com/text/trilogy01.html

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

herdygerdy wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:27 pm
Nice pics of your install Crazy Canuck, and they look great. A small point of clarification you may find interesting. The ignition on a CBX is technically not CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition as used in early Kawasaki 2 stroke triples) but Honda actually called it TPI - Transistorised Point-less Ignition.

The TPI ignition was developed for the CBX in order to comply with the strict EPA regulations in force back in the late 70's. These regulations mandated no servicing of the ignition system for 2 years from when the vehicle was sold new. A 2-year hiatus from ignition servicing was never, ever gonna' happen with the old Kettering points and condenser ignition systems, hence this forced Honda (and no doubt other manufacturers) to create the new 'TPI' design.

The TPI ignition system is still technically the old Kettering ignition system, with the dual functionality of the points (that does both the ignition timing AND the mechanical closing of the electrical circuit, clever huh?) now 'split' between two separate components - the 3x pulsers (under the cover at 2 o'clock on the clutch cover) doing the 'timing' part and the transistorised high-speed switches embedded in your shiny new Ricks igniters doing the ignition 'circuit closing' job.

And many thanks to Mike Nixon for his excellent article on CBX ignition that provides interesting background - and yes, he taught me all I know about this stuff. Hope this helps and enjoy the improvements in how your CBX runs with the new ignition.
https://motorcycleproject.com/text/trilogy01.html

I think I was reading one of your other very informative posts on this and it directed me to Mike's site for some good reading. I read it all but nothing got through my thick skull....I guess I'll have to read it again.

I went out for a Father's day ride with my son this afternoon and am happy to report the bike is running better than ever. We went all over the city of Edmonton, and a little freeway riding as well....nice day for a ride in the sun with my son :thumupp:

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”