79 Dragbike resto

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 Dragbike resto

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2723.JPG
well here we go, what i thought was going to be just a little paint and elbow grease turned out to be a complete tear down, looks like the powder coating is gonna cost more than i paid for the bike ? the Kosman spoke nipples have surface rust so they are gonna be reworked, front wheel is 18" and rear is 18X4'5 found some 290 mm rear shocks to keep the stance low, No Chrome whatsoever on this build all Ceramic Chromex on the RC headers and engine is now Black with Superchrome powder coat side-cases and valve cover, taking the frame in tomorrow for sandblast and powder coat, lots missing of coarse the factory gauges are missing with what appears to have original Tach still (oh-boy) and the wire harness just got tossed in the trash, what was left of it lol, Motor ran good on startup when purchase and have cracked open the valve cover to see nice clean cam and oil with no visible wear,still looking for #s to identify what the heck i have here ? :D anyway been looking around this forum and see a lot of beautiful builds any advise or thoughts chime in, should have some powder coat and motor pictures next week for update, yep i have a full time job too so just trying to pick at it every couple days .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 Dragbike resto

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2819.JPG
loaded the frame up this morning powder coated..tell you what there ain't much to this frame ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A fast resto for a fast bike.
The engine looks good.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Thanks Steve, prolly going to go back together slow, going for the Pro Street look, could anyone recommend a Complete Gasket kit ? i need to reseal this motor seen a couple of sets on E-bay but with the knowledge i seen here maybe someone could give me advise on what is economical and a decent product TIA

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What displacement do you have in the motor? You may have to buy a separate head gasket to fit the bore. Athena kits are nice quality, but mostly come with standard bore head gasket.

I am a little confused (as usual): Did you have the motor apart already and paint it black? It sure looks different than the one in the bike :? :?

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:What displacement do you have in the motor? You may have to buy a separate head gasket to fit the bore. Athena kits are nice quality, but mostly come with standard bore head gasket.

I am a little confused (as usual): Did you have the motor apart already and paint it black? It sure looks different than the one in the bike :? :?
sorry for the confusion, i did not pull the barrels or the head off...so i don't know what bore it has, and can't find any #s on the cams to identify, the previous owner is a acquaintance and he purchased it 12 years ago, he supposed to get me more info from the builder still waiting ,,,Headport is opened up real nice on the intake and exhaust, thought about breaking the motor down but it sounded to good, but i really want to drop the pan and check the oil pickup screen and need Valve cover-Clutch-Alt-side covers- copper exhaust O rings- so i figured i could just hang the Head gasket and barrel base gasket on the wall, thanks for the Info EMS..btw just did a degrease to the motor and cleanup with paint

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Looking around for the dip stick tool so i can find bore X stroke, http://www.usoma.com/merchand.htm

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You can use calipers to determine bore size (with the head off). I doubt very much that the stroke is different from stock. Would mean a custom crank. :think:

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

thinking the same thing , really doubt it's a stroker, gonna ask around and find a shop that may have this tool to check bore, the liquid volume tool like NASCAR would use is in Cubic inches , not sure how close it could be for CC's on a small bore, no reason to pull the head off, maybe take it down the 1/4 mile and see if it still puts up the numbers it did years ago is all i care lol :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2817.JPG
Powdercoat is way behind on my parts ..got a few pieces back this week..and yep that's my sidestand :D
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Judging from that, I'd say your cornering clearance is about zero.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

daves79x wrote:Judging from that, I'd say your cornering clearance is about zero.

Dave
LOL ! good thing i a am 6'2,,, surprised the 35 year old headers are not all crushed at the bottom :o

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Has anybody ordered the Bronze swingarm bushings from CBX Performance ? and is Bob a member here ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't think Bob is a member. Doesn't matter, though. He is a great guy to deal with and a long-time CBXer.
I had bronze bushings installed in a stock 79 swingarm and they were a huge improvement over the (deteriorated) plastic inserts.
You can take it up a notch and go for the needle bearing kit that Bob probably sells too.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Bob is a gentleman and a great guy to deal with. Buy from him with confidence.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Project Threads”