79 Dragbike resto

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 Dragbike resto

Post by desertrefugee »

Glad you're getting after it, Greg. I know it's been bothering you for a while.

(and I'd have paid to watch the run down that STEEEP ramp).
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

daves79x wrote:The big part of the job is removing the engine. Once split, the transmission is right there - the first thing you come to. Look for wear on the sliding gears where the shift forks ride, and also excessive wear on the forks. Then any obvious damage to the gears and engagement dogs. Good used parts are readily available. Try to get a used transmission complete from a late model - the shift forks are a better design. Any parts will mix and match as you need.

Dave
Thanks, was hoping i could get some encouragement, and advise, Dave what would you use for sealer for the case reassembly, got the motor out waiting for my son to help flip it over, Greg

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Hondabond, the liquid kind. I think it's Hondabond 4. It is a pretty thin sealant compared to the other one Honda sells. I have both, but the dealer should know which one is for case sealant. Do follow the manual for splitting and reassembling the cases.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

desertrefugee wrote:Glad you're getting after it, Greg. I know it's been bothering you for a while.

(and I'd have paid to watch the run down that STEEEP ramp).
I was just joking lol,,that would have been a Video camera moment for sure :D I made a solid plywood ramp that has a longer slope, and a boat wench with strap, made the wife crank it !!!! hahahaha

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

daves79x wrote:Hondabond, the liquid kind. I think it's Hondabond 4. It is a pretty thin sealant compared to the other one Honda sells. I have both, but the dealer should know which one is for case sealant. Do follow the manual for splitting and reassembling the cases.

Dave
Thanks !

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Too bad about the transmission, Greg.

I hope you had a couple buddies nearby assisting or at least ready to call 911 when you used that "ramp". haha.
How about a video when it is time to go back up.
Lol last year we tried to push it up with three guys ? way too heavy , drank beer instead :lol:

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_3328.JPG
I put my Gl 1500 down for winter also , heated basement, think i am gonna upgrade to electric wench this year lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Finally split the case . Honda sure goes all out making their Cranks shinny looks like chrome ? gonna plasta gauge the rods also
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That’s not a stock crank. Looks like a Falicon crank. Good stuff.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Cool ! i was looking at the pics in the Honda manual and it looks way different must be lightened, good thing their was not much garbage in the oil pan at all very clean , still investigating my first gear jumping issue dogs and dog holes dont look that bad , hoping maybe bent shift fork,,put a dial on the forks still within factory specks, gonna look a little closer this week, just split the case 2 hrs ago, tried to measure bore with my calipers but not that accurate in the position i had them

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

20190129_170045.jpg
Heads are opened up , nice looking port job, took a lot meat off around the guides, had to also trim the new insulators they were to small and restricting flow

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Nice looking head !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Well ? looking close now at the M-1 and C-1 dogs and dog hole ....Does this slight bevel on the dog hole look bad enough to jump in and out of gear , Any thoughts welcome and i assume this is First gear combo ..TIA :think:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Those are worn. More important is the sliding gears the shift forks ride in. I’ve found them worn to the point that the fork would not slide the gear far enough to fully engage. Both slider and gear do wear.

Dave

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Glad to see you getting after it, Greg. Guess the notion of a second summer without the CBX was too much to bear…

Also cool to see the engine builder was going for the gusto. Wonder if it has stock cams…?
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Return to “Project Threads”