A 1982-Why I go over any used vehicle before using ^.^

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

A 1982-Why I go over any used vehicle before using ^.^

Post by RJ CB650 »

Okay, if new R/R comes in today, should have my 82 running come next week. Summation of what this runner had for work. I have pictures, but not uploaded yet. Once back together, will put up pictures to document the passing from one CBXer to another!

Prologue: Got bike as a runner, but it had known issues I was aware of before making the trip to pick it up.
Issue with low rpm operation being rough
Seemed to develop ignition and spark troubles after putting on a few hundred miles
Broken side grab handle

When there:
Year old battery was down to 4.5v even though had tender put on every 90 days, would not charge
Appeared to be old gas/oil on number 1 carb at the mix screw (my biggest worry at the time)
Front tire was a nice and cracking Qualifier

It is a complete bike, so even non runner, I would have bought. As such, didn't risk starting it. Buying from somebody I know personally, so I had no worries about seller honesty, etc. If he was riding it last year before storage, then it was a riding bike. Reason it was being sold is he knew it needed work that was beyond mechanical knowledge and couldn't just keep throwing money to mechanics. Was his dream bike, so sold it to me knowing it would get the service it required and have a nice secure life.

What it all needed:

So all in right now before even starting up

1. New front tire, that was a given. Back tire is still good in tread and date
2. Battery and making new positive battery cable
3. R/R appeared to be cooked and one diode reading as bad. Corroded connections probably was causing it to cook batteries. Cooked batteries was most likely what was causing the other electrical faults. Will find out once I get the charging system all tested and bike going.
4. Repair and service kit for carburetors. couple low speed jets were dirty, and number 4 was blocked. Number 6 float tip had come off and was actually stuck in it's seat. So had I tried running it, would have been on 4.5 cylinders risk burning valves, etc. if it ran at all.
5. Carb fuel lines and vents were improperly done. Installing a new vacuum fuel valve assembly and heavy duty fuel lines. To prevent complete carb disassembly, using 3/8 fuel line slipped over damaged tee vents and sintered brass filters for new venting.
6. Breather tube was rotted and split open leaving a nice, unfiltered opening to the air box, and possibly throwing off tuning a bit? Ten bucks for a new Honda one so no biggie there.
7. One front caliper piston was sticking, and MC didn't seems to want to release pressure so rebuild front brake assembly. Lines are in great shape.
8. Fairing gauges, clock had been relocated to right side of fairing above the right storage pocket. Cheap oil gauge installed in left pod, right one just had a household thermostat stuck to it. Replace with an oil pressure gauge and an Ammeter.
9. New throttle, choke and clutch cable. The pull cable had some fraying started at the carb, it had to be replaced. Do both at same time is a good idea. With tank off, might as well do the clutch. The choke had a twist/bend in the cable at the handle, so replace that before it becomes a problem.

Future work?
Well, will be replacing entire exhaust system. I dislike it's design and comes too close to an unshielded part of the oil lines for my likings. Expensive, but I will want to do it before spring.
Seat? If you saw what is on there now, it is a very high quality and comfortable, conforming twin seat. Unfortunately, it is a big cushion saddle seat on what is essentially the first real sport bike. I looks great on it's own, but terrible on the bike. color matching two tone Corbin in the future.
Valve cover gasket and adjustment. Have to drop the engine to do this, so good bit of winter work. They are not leaking, but shows sign of minor weepage. Plus checking cam clearance is always a good bit of service anyways.

All in all, not a whole lot of work required compared to my other bikes of same vintage!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: A 1982-Why I go over any used vehicle before using ^.^

Post by NobleHops »

Well that was a great fast project RJ, you made it look easy. Not your first rodeo it's pretty obvious :-)

Just a little while back I organized a group buy of the two repro exhaust systems, the Delkevic and the Sankei. For a Prolink bike like yours (assuming you even WANT a repro stock system) I think the Delkevic is a better choice, as it comes in a Prolink variant that fits better in some or other respect, although it does NOT feature the crossover tube that the stock system had. I'd bet a buck Tim's CBX will still honor the group buy price because he's like that, and if you're interested in the Sankei, call Mike at Northwest Vintage Cycle and I bet you'll find him super helpful too.

Click this link for more info if you're interested:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8945

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Yup, I like them fixer uppers, this link is to my last project:

1982 CB 650sc Nighthawk revival, Image heavy

The exhaust, I was looking the Delkevic, since that was the only one I knew of, will check out the sankei as well to compare. I would rather spend 3000 fixing a bike and have it mean something, then spend the same, or in the case of the nighthawk, less and not have any personal value. That said, this CBX, the personal value means more than any show winning cbx could ever match.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I suppose I should explain what I found in fitting both the Delkevic and Sankei exhausts recently. The Delkevic comes with most everything you need, BUT, a couple of comments on that. The repro finned collars are quite nice and work well, but the split collars are very thin and I wouldn't use them. Also, the copper exhaust gaskets supplied are too small and won't stay in the port while fiddling with the install. And speaking of fiddling, actual installation was a bit of a pain. The general shape and fit is good, quite good in fact, except for one big thing - the 2 center pipes. They don't come assembled, but do come with the Honda donuts to mount them into the main pipes. Well, there is interference in sliding the pipes the whole way into the collector and I had to do quite a bit of grinding to get the end to go in both of them. And that donut is always a pain to install without damaging it, but are on the stock pipes as well.

That accomplished, I ran into another snag with the center pipes when fitting up to the bike - they both have a slightly wrong bend to them that, no matter how you fiddle, will not allow all 3 flange ends to seat evenly into the exhaust ports. So I found the best compromise position, lightly seated the center pipe (it always protruded back farther than the fixed two did), then barely starting the other two. Once the fixed two were started, I was able to suck them in far enough to seal (using the correct gaskets). Both sides were an identical pain to install.

Last thing is that Delkevic does not supply the gasket that goes under the rear clamp of the heat shield, as your stock Honda system does. No problem, I think, I'll just rob a couple from my boneyard and I'll be all set. No, the clamps aren't large enough in diameter to clamp both the pipe and the gasket, so I left it out altogether (again, both sides were identical) and fastened the clamp without any gasket. Didn't like the metal-to-metal contact there, but didn't know what else to do, short of fabricating something.

Also, the center pipe clamps aren't right and left, so on one side the bolt sticks up as it should, on the other it points inward and down. No big deal, I guess. The pipes mounted up to within about 3/8 inch symmetry viewed from the rear.

Plus side is everything comes with the Delkevics, down side is it all doesn't fit/work that well. Actual pipes seem well-made and once on the bike, look just fine. I think the sound is a bit different from stock. Not many welds show on the cans.

The Sankei system, on the other hand, was a breeze to install. The heat shields were already mounted with correct hardware and gaskets, as well as were the center pipes. Down side is that no hardware is supplied as in the Delkevics, but see above for the good and bad of that. Most guys have serviceable finned collars and split collars to use anyway. Also Sankei supplied, at least with the system I installed, an alternate right-side rear mounting bracket that was a bit longer. Turns out I did need to use it to even up the pipes when viewed from the rear. Not sure what's up with that and 2 other sets I've seen didn't come with that extra bracket. Anyway, mine mounted up great and are perfectly symmetrical. Down side of looks is that several welds do show on the cans, and this will vary from system-to-system, as the other 2 sets I've seen showed. Sound is very close to stock.

It might look like you get more for your money with the Delkevics, but I'm not sure in the end (see above).

If buying one today, I'd go with the Sankei. Your results may vary.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:I Last thing is that Delkevic does not supply the gasket that goes under the rear clamp of the heat shield, as your stock Honda system does. No problem, I think, I'll just rob a couple from my boneyard and I'll be all set. No, the clamps aren't large enough in diameter to clamp both the pipe and the gasket, so I left it out altogether (again, both sides were identical) and fastened the clamp without any gasket. Didn't like the metal-to-metal contact there, but didn't know what else to do, short of fabricating something.

Dave
I have used self-adhesive aluminum tape in cases like this on other bikes with a similar issue.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Thanks for the info! This bike is doesn't have heat shields on it, if you mean the ones that bolt to the pipes. It really needs them and is the main reason I want to ditch the current pipes. When this fall comes, and I recover from the wallet shock of the rush to the road on this one, I am thinking will check out the sankei first based on your information. I have fins, and just buying the exhaust gaskets is no issue. Hardware, same thing. I am rather used to buying or upgrading fasteners.

Some welds showing? I guess it depends on how it looks. I mean if it looks like some five year old using a stick and the wrong voltage, that is one thing, but clean and proper welds means less than good fit, and proper assembly components. (Heat shields!) However, I haven't been able to review the differences much between twin shock and pro link to know if the non pro-link sankei exhausts are going to have for issues.

Dillemas. If I do go the delkevic route, I guess would need some ebay warrior skills to find me missing parts if required. Will have to think about it...

Return to “Project Threads”