One of many projects.Why are flutes different?

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
dkcape
New Member & Happy To Be Here

One of many projects.Why are flutes different?

Post by dkcape »

For some time now i have been looking for someone who can change the tank fittings.As i would like to have the Z petrol lid,(as far prefer the shape) put on the B tank,as have put different front forks,etc on the B model.Well at last found this guy and his rate is very reasonable.The flutes are different though,as the Z is like a cylinder and the B has a cut out.Does anyone know the reason for this? As if the one with the cut out is better then i must shape it before it is welded back.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: One of many projects.Why are flutes different?

Post by EMS »

You are talking about the gas cap and the filler neck, right?
The 1979 and 1980 cap are totally different from the 1981 and 1982. They have a different lock mechanism and require a different neck to connect to. The 81/82 (B and C) cap is standard with other Honda models. If you change your B tank to the 1979 cap set-up and want to be able to lock the cap, you also need to add the "strap" or "latch" that goes over the cap with both the hinge and the lock clip. Rather complicated job.

dkcape

Post by dkcape »

[quote="EMS"]You are talking about the gas cap and the filler neck, right?
Yes am talking about the filler neck.Why on the Z model the neck inside is like a cylinder,where as the B model has a cut out?( I have some pics,just wish i can work out how to put them on.please can you advise.)I am in the process of changing two B tanks with the Z petrol cap fitting.Am then able to get inside and give them a real good clean.As was shocked that after spending many hours cleaning them with different chemicals and electrolysis,they were still very rusty.Especially on the roof and the sides.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think Honda finally decided in 1981 that we needed to be able to fill our CBX tanks COMPLETELY full instead of a gallon short.

Dave

dkcape

Post by dkcape »

daves79x wrote:I think Honda finally decided in 1981 that we needed to be able to fill our CBX tanks COMPLETELY full instead of a gallon short.

Dave
Thanks for that.So it will be best for me to cut the Z fitting to the same shape as the B,before welding it back on.
Your name sake
David

Return to “Project Threads”