Tidying up a '79

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tidying up a '79

Post by NobleHops »

Nice!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

daves79x wrote:Excellent - guys will be sending YOU carbs to rebuild if you're not careful!

Dave
Heh heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, still much to learn with this machine!

Nils, hopefully I can get you that pic at Blyde River Canyon soon 8)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mello wrote:
daves79x wrote:Excellent - guys will be sending YOU carbs to rebuild if you're not careful!

Dave
Heh heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, still much to learn with this machine!

Nils, hopefully I can get you that pic at Blyde River Canyon soon 8)
That would be a righteous moment for you and your X, that's for certain.
Nils Menten

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Great work so far, glad to see that you're getting the issues sorted out one by one.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

Hi Mello,

Just getting to the stage to respray my "baby" too :P and I'm looking for some decals locally. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: Where did you get yours? :text-search: I've been told by a CBX guy in CT that Honda have some stock, so I'm going to check. :dance: He also told me that he had the 24 valve decal made up in CT by a graphics design company in Greenpoint. Going to do some searching and if I come right I'll let you know. :pray:

Cheers

Mac
I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
Save Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

mac. wrote:Hi Mello,

Just getting to the stage to respray my "baby" too :P and I'm looking for some decals locally. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: Where did you get yours? :text-search: I've been told by a CBX guy in CT that Honda have some stock, so I'm going to check. :dance: He also told me that he had the 24 valve decal made up in CT by a graphics design company in Greenpoint. Going to do some searching and if I come right I'll let you know. :pray:

Cheers

Mac
There is a company in Canada called Reproduction Decals, DBA Diablo Cycle these days: http://www.diablocycle.com/-Decals/

The bike painters I know all say their products are top quality. I used their stuff on my 400F and just bought another set for my red '80. Here's the rub though - I think Honda got uppity about copyright or something and they do not appear to list the Honda sets anymore. But you should give them a call anyway :whistle: :angelic-green:

N.
Nils Menten

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

mac. wrote:Hi Mello,

Cheers

Mac
Hey Mac,

My bike is running well now, just no time to pull her to pieces at the moment as we're building onto the house and about to go overseas on holiday :shock: trying to save a bit of cash too!

I got all the decals, apart from the 24 valve one (no stock), from David Silver Spares http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk. I bought some parts for my blackbird from them some time ago. Let me know if you come right with the 24 valve decal as I need that one. Hopefully I will get to a proper rebuild later in the year.

Cheers,
Mike

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mello wrote:[q and about to go overseas on holiday :
Mike
Inquiring minds want to know: Where is "overseas" in relation to South Africa that someone from there may go on holiday to..??? Mauritius..??

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

EMS wrote:
Mello wrote:[q and about to go overseas on holiday :
Mike
Inquiring minds want to know: Where is "overseas" in relation to South Africa that someone from there may go on holiday to..??? Mauritius..??
Aah, overseas would be to the US of A - Florida, Massachusetts and NYC. Long flight, around 18 hours of flying! We fly air France so have a long stop over in Paris too, enough to see a few sights.

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

Hi Mello,

I'm gettiing my decals made up by a local graphics company. Once I get them back I'll post some photo's and feedback on the 24 valve overhead cam decal.

Have you refurbed your dials? I opened up the tacho and decided I wouldn't open the speedo. It was a bit messy prying the outer ring off. My gauges are quite faded, more like a chocolate brown than a vibrant red. I've seen some folks that do refurbs on the forum but with the rand / dollar where it is I'll have to give it a miss.

Tx's

Mac

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

mac. wrote: Have you refurbed your dials?
No, but the speedo was repaired. The needle had fallen off. Sent them into a guy in Benoni who was recommended by someone. I wanted them refurbed but he said he wouldn't be able to do a good enough job of it. He replaced the needle but had to replace the innards as they had completely stripped! He gave the tachometer a service while he was at it. They don't look too bad for the moment.

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

Mella,

This is the tank decal that I have got locally.

Let me know if you need anymore details.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

mac. wrote:Mella,

This is the tank decal that I have got locally.

Let me know if you need anymore details.

Thanks Mac, will give you a shout when I get to that point. My other honda (CBR1100XX) has been keeping me busy of late so not much work being done on the CBX. Just riding 8)

Return to “Project Threads”