Rust Removal

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Rust Removal

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I may have been sleeping under a rock somewhere; but, I have recently found a product that is THE greatest for rust removal. To my knowledge, there are two brands on the market basically the same stuff: Evapo-Rust and Metal Rescue. All that needs is to 'clean' the parts (remove grease and oil and dirt) and soak the parts in the stuff. No wire brushing, etc. It is water based and will not hurt virtually anything except rust. (Don't put mag parts into it.) It will take the rust from pits, flat surface, anything from what I have seen. It might leave a black residue -- wipe that off with 4-o steel wool. Soak time can be 30 minutes to 24 hours, depending upon the rust severity. When you're finished, give the part a good rinse in water and refinish it as necessary. (Should work great for gas tanks. Don't have to be concerned about corrosion. As soon as you finish, rinse and dry the tank and do whatever to the inside.) If you need to do a part you can't submerse, you will have to figure out how to keep it moist with the stuff. But, soaking, it is great. And, if you leave things in for a few days, no problem. It won't corrode. I got mine at an auto parts store. I think Lowe's and H-D carry it. Probably others. About $20/gallon. And, that goes a loong way. Smaller sizes available.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rust Removal

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer wrote:I may have been sleeping under a rock somewhere ....... To my knowledge, there are two brands on the market basically the same stuff: Evapo-Rust and Metal Rescue. .

:D :D :D Flat Rock, Michigan, Larry??? Quite possible. There are at least two more products: Rusteco - I believe used to be the first one on the market. They used to market the product themselves directly. Expensive. Then , again I believe, came JCWhitney with Rustol. Almost the same product. Safe for paint. I have no idea why the stuff attacks certain alloys, but it ate the petcock on a CB350F tank that I restored. :? :roll:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You can buy the Evapo-Rust at Summit Racing by the gallon and 5 gallon cans, free shipping.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Not familiar with Rusteco, Mike. The Evapo-Rust website does say NOT to use with magnesium. Could that petcock have been mag?
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Don't know if all these products have the same active ingredient, but is sounds like they all use phosphoric acid. It can be found in any hardware store as a dry product. Mix what you need with water.

It's also a major component in most soft drinks.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

I also like Evapo-Rust. It is good stuff.

However there is a caveat. If you immerse in it a lightly rusty steel part with the black oxide protective layer (think, some tools), it will remove that as well in no time.
Now I know I am stating the obvious, but beware it caught me, and certainly hope will not catch any of you ...

Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If I remember right, on some other sites people reported using molasses as a rust remover.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

2L bottle of Coca Cola .99 on sale (Rick Pope) works for me.
/r
B

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:If I remember right, on some other sites people reported using molasses as a rust remover.
I think it was perhaps a little over a year ago, on this site, there was much discussion about using molasses. Use the left overs on your pancakes. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Kool_Biker wrote:I also like Evapo-Rust. It is good stuff.

However there is a caveat. If you immerse in it a lightly rusty steel part with the black oxide protective layer (think, some tools), it will remove that as well in no time.
Now I know I am stating the obvious, but beware it caught me, and certainly hope will not catch any of you ...

Aris
Good point, Aris. Indeed, it will. The website mentions this very thing. For those situations, turpentine (or kerosene) with 4-0 steel wool will work well.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Project Threads”