The 'X Files

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
viciouscycle
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The 'X Files

Post by viciouscycle »

I have had my 1979 CBX for a couple of years, been a member for almost that time and a frequent stalker of this board. So I figure it's time to post the saga...to date.

As a long time admirer of the CBX but never a rider, I have often scoped the ads of local candidates, but they have always been more than I wanted to pay (translation: cost of bike marginal; cost of divorce much more). So one day at the office, an 'X needing some TLC that I have been monitoring is coming to the end of its Ebay auction. I put in what I think is a low ball bid (actually I was showing a friend how Ebay works) and lo and behold, I win the damn thing! Now I have to explain to the missus my plans for a romantic weekend in a rented cargo van to Medford, Oregon, feigning surprise when I stop by the vendor's house to pick up the bike. Well it worked out not too bad...I think the shopping stops along the way cost more than the bike!

Get the new acquisition home. Getting it out of the van was fun as the rear brake was seized. Not a serious safety concern on this bike as so was the throttle. So I spent a few of the cold spring months taking the beast apart. I have never smelled fuel that was so foul and off. The carbs came off and were cooked and soaked and cooked and soaked in Yamaha carb cleaner. Then they were taken apart and the jets, etc. cleaned. What a mess! I cleaned up the rest of the bike, lubed it up, etc. and damned if it didn't start right up! Not the best sounding three cylinder I have ever heard (I will stick with an old Kawasaki or BSA for triples), so off came the carbs again....and again until not only did I have the engine dropping down to about 15-20 minutes but I had a full compliment of, well 5 cylinders. Finally after further cleaning of the carbs the sixth came on line. I then rode the bike for the summer. It was great on the highway and getting better in town (would not idle properly). The idling became a bit better over time and lots of carb cleaner in the fuel, etc. but never perfect.

So the bike took last summer off. In the fall, I took it apart again. The paint was all wrong on the bike and I wanted to put it back to the proper red. I was going to send it to TIMS when I found another Ebay ad for Mark Byrd in S. Carolina who would do the prep work and paint with proper graphics for $650! I was sure I would never see my bits again, but I sent them down and about a month later (sooner than promissed) back came perfectly painted and clear coated items. The only caution I would give anyone sending their stuff to Mark would be to let him know the proper black for the side covers. He used a semi or full gloss. I like the looks of it and I am not too anal about being perfect on this bike as there are other items of a not original nature on it. I would not hesitate to use his services again or recommend them very highly!

Then I built a new garage. So now the 'X is in the new garage and I have gotten back to working on her in prep for being on the road in the Spring. With the new paint looking so good, I now have to brighten up some of the black frame parts. I have a powder coating set but the frame is too large for my toaster oven so I have used paint on the scatched parts of the frame and was planning on powder coating the rest. I have pulled off the carbs and I have new idle jets. I pulled the old ones this weekend and sure enough three of them were clogged. I had on at least a couple of occasions tried Mike Nixon's special way to clean the idle jets which improved the idle and in fact brought at least one cylinder to life in the first go 'round. Interestingly, the place the idle jets were clogged was at the bottom of the jet. Most of the side holes were clear. I expected the through hole from top to bottom to be clear as that would receive the brunt of the carb cleaner shots and air.

I thought I would have it all back together this afternoon, but one of the emulsion tubes I was replacing is stuck fast (#3 carb). I have been spraying penetrating oil (not WD40) down there for a day and a half now. I tried using an extractor but the damned extractor broke. So in a rare state of patience, I decided to keep spraying, buy another extractor tomorrow and I turned my attention to my newest project, a '92 Ducati 907ie.

I have to say that having spent the last decade wrenching and swearing at my Harley, for the most part the CBX is a pleasure to work on in comparison. It is as if the engineers were actually awake when they designed this bike and thought about things like actually repairing it. The fold down engine is fantastic compared to taking the top rocker covers off the Harley!

Well that is the story so far.

CBX after first getting it on road, minus side covers - does not look like this anymore...will send in more photos once done.
Ciao, Randy

1979 CBX
1989 GB500
1992 DUCATI 907ie
1993...HARLEY FXR CUSTOM
1968 AERMACCHI HARLEY (65CC)
1986 HONDA SPREE

EINSTEIN'S THEORY OF RELATIVITY: "Ride faster you will live longer"

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: The 'X Files

Post by SteveG »

Welcome Randy!

Excellent write up. Sounds like you are having a great time playing with the toys. Can't wait for more.

Thanks- Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great first post, Randy.
I know what you mean about practice makes sort-of perfect in tilting the engine.
Are those OMT pipes?
Nice collection of bikes, by the way.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

SteveG wrote:Welcome Randy!

Excellent write up. Sounds like you are having a great time playing with the toys. Can't wait for more.

Thanks- Steve
What he said! Great post Randy, thanks for taking the time, and including photos before we badgered you to :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

viciouscycle
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by viciouscycle »

Thanks y'all. The pipes and cans came with the bike. I know that the cans are aftermarket. If you look closely, they are not as long as stock mufflers. I think the pipes might be original, I remember looking for the stamp, but cannot remember if I found it. One of my jobs is repacking the mufflers. I bought some stainless steel mesh to replace the old deteriorated fiberglass. Taking the old stuff out of the mufflers was easy. I am not so sure that putting in the new packing will go so well. These mufflers are made kind of strange so that you have to put the packing in then the muffler tube. I know that usually the muffler comes apart so that you can put the packing around the tube and just slip the whole shebang in.

Some anomolies on this bike: Although it is clearly a later '79, it has the lockable tail piece, which I quite like. It also has air forks, which I did not think came in until '80. If anyone is interested, I do have a luggage rack that came with the bike but I do not see using.
Ciao, Randy

1979 CBX
1989 GB500
1992 DUCATI 907ie
1993...HARLEY FXR CUSTOM
1986 HONDA SPREE

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Hard to tell from that one picture, but the headpipes look like they might be Kerkers - They come together at the junction stacked 2 on top of one, forming a sort of triangle. The stockers are . . . . kinda wierd at the junction, with the center pipe removable with a clamp

I'm still looking for a rack - If you have the right one, I might be interested - E-mail me a picture when you get a chance

Don

viciouscycle
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by viciouscycle »

So in the continuing saga of the 'X, the main jet emulsion tube in #3 carb has been welded in place with old gas. I knew that to be the case last year when I took them apart but all of the carb cleaner and running of the bike did nothing to loosen that sucker up. For the past week I have soaked it with penetrating fluid to no avail. I have gone through two screw excractors that have snapped before the nozzel would budge. I tried screwing from the bottom end but that was ueseless. So I soaked it with Lepage's Poly Clens and used my heat gun to heat up the carb body around the tube (removing the rubber stopper for the idle jet). FINALLY! Using the left over bit from my last screw extractor it came out! That was late last night. So today, #3 carb got it's clean up, float check, etc. and the carbs are back on the bike and the engine is now lifted back into place. I really wanted to get the new paintwork on today. Didn't get that far. I set the idle screws at two turns out. This is a bit more than the manual says, but the last carb work indicated 2.5 turns out. I will synchronize them in the Spring once I have it running. I don't want to put gas in until it is on the road.
Ciao, Randy

1979 CBX
1989 GB500
1992 DUCATI 907ie
1993...HARLEY FXR CUSTOM
1986 HONDA SPREE

viciouscycle
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by viciouscycle »

The 'X is looking a bit different:

Before:

After:

It is all together....except I seem to have lost one of the chain adjuster blocks ($#%*). New one one on order. All that is left to do is start 'er up and then synch the carbs. See you at the Delta 27th Annual Classic & Vintage Motorcycle Swap Meet! :DD
Ciao, Randy

1979 CBX
1989 GB500
1992 DUCATI 907ie
1993...HARLEY FXR CUSTOM
1986 HONDA SPREE

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Looking good, Randy.
I noticed in your first pic the mismatched throttle cables on the SportKit controls. What did you end up using?
I am betting against you still waiting until Spring to get it running and synch the carbs.

viciouscycle
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by viciouscycle »

I noticed in your first pic the mismatched throttle cables on the SportKit controls. What did you end up using?
I am betting against you still waiting until Spring to get it running and synch the carbs.
Hey Steve, good eye on the throttle cables. One of those things I keep forgetting to rectify. Maybe after this post I will do an Ebay search. And you're right about waiting until Spring. It was sunny and warm here in Vancouver today, just went to the boat show, bought some oil and itching to get on a two wheel machine.
Ciao, Randy

1979 CBX
1989 GB500
1992 DUCATI 907ie
1993...HARLEY FXR CUSTOM
1986 HONDA SPREE

Return to “Project Threads”