1979 CBX Winter Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
BallAquatics
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: 1979 CBX Winter Project

Post by BallAquatics »

NobleHops wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:04 pm
Great job!

Thanks Nils. Carbs are bench synced. I had a moment of distraction and mistakenly backed one of the adjustment screws out too far and had to break the rack to get it back in place. Other than that, piece of cake. Again, I followed Mike's advice and adjusted all the carbs to the first bypass outlet.

Also checked all the bowl over-flow tubes. None were cracked, but one was leaking around the joint where the tube enters the bottom of the bowl. A bit of solder and all is well.

I'm not too far from getting the carbs back on and starting her up for the first time since 1988! It's getting exciting around the shop. :D

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You must be a lot niftier at soldering than I am. I've NEVER had success soldering the pipes next to the pot metal stub. Solder simply does not stick to pot-metal. Apart from that, you need to wet test them on the bench, tilted at the approximate installed angle, for several hours. I assume (hope) you used the original float valves or genuine Keihin replacements. Aftermarket ones just do not hold up, and very often seep after a while under gas pressure.

Then verify accelerator pump operation on the bench as well. It'll run for sure, but all the little details you do not leave to chance will insure you won't have to pull them again for some nagging issue that keeps them from being perfect.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just curious- have you gone through the electrical system, cleaned connections, replaced the strip fuse, checked for melted connections in the hot circuit and alternator plug? Tightened all spark plug wire connections? Cleaned the ignition switch and starter switch? Verified good voltage at the coils with the key on? Less than one volt drop from battery voltage? Perhaps you have, but all the above needs done, and lots more really, before you try to start. A lot of guys get in a big hurry to fire the bike up then chase problems for months piecemeal to get everything right. Sitting for 30 years is generally not kind to most systems on the bike. Keep us posted!

Dave

BallAquatics

Post by BallAquatics »

daves79x wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 am
You must be a lot niftier at soldering than I am. I've NEVER had success soldering the pipes next to the pot metal stub. Solder simply does not stick to pot-metal. Apart from that, you need to wet test them on the bench, tilted at the approximate installed angle, for several hours. I assume (hope) you used the original float valves or genuine Keihin replacements. Aftermarket ones just do not hold up, and very often seep after a while under gas pressure.

Then verify accelerator pump operation on the bench as well. It'll run for sure, but all the little details you do not leave to chance will insure you won't have to pull them again for some nagging issue that keeps them from being perfect.

Dave
I think I just got lucky with the solder job. Basically I treated it like a copper pipe and painted it up good with flux and then used some really fine solder that I use when working on vintage stereo equipment. I'm not so sure that the solder stuck to the pot metal, but it seamed to flow into the joint and stop the leak.

I did replace the float valves with genuine Keihin valves from PJ Motorsports, per Mike's suggestion. When ever I had a question about something in Mike Nixon's Carb Rebuild Booklet, I'd shoot Mike an email and he was always quick to get me back on track with parts or the info needed.

:text-thankyouyellow: Dave, thanks for the tip about the accelerator pump. I plan on fueling the rack of carbs on the bench and will check out the accelerator pump operation at that time.

BallAquatics

Post by BallAquatics »

daves79x wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:46 am
Just curious- have you gone through the electrical system, cleaned connections, replaced the strip fuse, checked for melted connections in the hot circuit and alternator plug? Tightened all spark plug wire connections? Cleaned the ignition switch and starter switch? Verified good voltage at the coils with the key on? Less than one volt drop from battery voltage? Perhaps you have, but all the above needs done, and lots more really, before you try to start. A lot of guys get in a big hurry to fire the bike up then chase problems for months piecemeal to get everything right. Sitting for 30 years is generally not kind to most systems on the bike. Keep us posted!

Dave
Very nice, thanks again for all the good info. Actually, I have done none of those things. Lol I did check out the connectors when I had them apart to lower the engine to remove the carbs.

I was so happy with Mike's carb booklet that I ordered his alternator booklet and thought I'd go over the electrical system after doing the carbs and brakes. I have all new brake kits from Brake Crafters here in Ohio and have the brakes as the next job on tap.

I purchased kits for all 3 calipers and both master cylinders. I may go back and get replacement brake lines and a new reservoir for the front master too.

Dave, thanks again for all the great advice! Keep 'em coming. It's 24 °F with snow here today and will still be some time before riding season gets here. I definitely want the bike in top shape as I'd like to take it on a trip to the Wheels Through Time Museum in North Carolina this summer.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Consider Spiegler brake lines, mine still look new after years of service. The rotating fittings make for a perfect fit, they come in black and many assorted colors for the lines and end fittings. They are made in the good ole USA right here in Dayton Ohio, I think JR here on the board is a dealer.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-li ... -kits.html

BallAquatics

Post by BallAquatics »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:48 pm
Consider Spiegler brake lines, mine still look new after years of service. The rotating fittings make for a perfect fit, they come in black and many assorted colors for the lines and end fittings. They are made in the good ole USA right here in Dayton Ohio, I think JR here on the board is a dealer.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-li ... -kits.html
Cool, thanks Jeff! I like to buy local when it's possible. Brake Crafters is just up the road from Dayton in Troy Ohio. 8)

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Bravo!
Backstory, attention to detail…you’ve got this!

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Enjoying following Your posts. Sorry about Your health issues...I'm guessing we've all got some.(At least I do :lol: ) Looking forward to seeing Your bike completed...Enjoy!
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

BallAquatics

Post by BallAquatics »

Carbs are back on the bike, brakes rebuilt, and new rubber too. Starts and idles great. Was great to hear it running after over 30 years of storage! Still lots of work to do, but it's coming along better than I had expected.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Look'n good!!!!
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congrats! Bike looks great.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Very nice ! Happy trails again !
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Fantastic, great progress!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Lookin good!
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Return to “Project Threads”