79-80 Steering Damper for under $100

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

79-80 Steering Damper for under $100

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

I found the CBX steering to be a bit twitchy sometimes.
This adjustable Steering Damper overcomes that and is removable, and also looks cool.
Parts:
1 - 365MM Universal CNC Steering Damper Linear Stabilizer For Motorcycle $46 eBay
available in gold, silver, black.
1 - 35mm Aluminium Steering Damper Fork Frame Mounting Clamp Bracket for Motorcycle
Material: CNC Machine Aluminum Alloy. Fitment: 35MM diameter steering damper fork size.
The Thread Pitch: 8MM Function: Reduce lever vibration. $21 eBay
2 - M8 Allen bolts hardware
2 - rubber spacers hardware

Notes:
- the 250mm steering dampers are too short, so use a 365mm damper instead.
- you will need to slightly drill out the middle hole on the oil cooler support bracket to fit the M8 bolt.
- make sure the steering can move freely from stop to stop without pulling on the fork clamp or damper.
- make sure the steering lock still works
- the clamp must not interfere with the operation of the forks or contact the frame.
- Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: 79-80 Steering Damper for under $100

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I’m not saying it won’t work but all the dampers I’ve seen on CBX’s over the years used a bracket welded to the frame, never just bolted to the oil cooler mount.

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

The bolt through the oil cooler mount is very close to the frame bolt on this one, so the result is about the same and this way it makes it removable.
Scott

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Duffey Lake rd. wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:31 pm
The bolt through the oil cooler mount is very close to the frame bolt on this one, so the result is about the same and this way it makes it removable.
Scott
I could see that in your first post, if easy removal VS functionality is your goal, that’s the setup for sure.

Return to “Project Threads”