Another Challenge

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Another Challenge

Post by daves79x »

If I recall, this was the low frame number, low mile, pretty nice bike our friend in Wisconsin was parting out. One of many, many pretty nice CBXs he's parted on eBay. Don't know where he comes up with that many CBXs. Most should have been restored, by the looks of the parts. Sure wish you'd have had the opportunity, Mike, to get the whole bike. You'd have a much easier time. I also recall the engine number was pretty low. Good luck!

Dave

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

California titles have both VIN and engine number.
They don't want to miss out on a nickel if they can charge you for new paperwork for changing the engine number.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike, have you got the next Pirate name for this project sorted out yet?

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks guys, I guess I am afflicted.

Steve, I was thinking The Necromancer.....but who knows.

Thinking of going with a nice black paint job but that is open to because I am not sure of the detail of restoration I want to do.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Hey Mike,

New Mexico puts frame and engine numbers on the title.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Well I think this one will be named "The Lazarus" because it really is being raised from the dead.

Besides, trying to get "The Necromancer" engraved could be a challenge....

Mike

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I finally found some engine case bolts but they were rough. I was going to get the zinc plated but I didn't have enough to be worthwhile so I polished these up.

Here is what they looked like:

Here they are after wire brushing and polishing, not 100% but pretty good:

Okay, I think the Necromancer and the Lazarus are to dark, maybe the Phoenix or the Frankenstien, it is being assembled with graveyard parts after all....

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:

I'd really consider getting the bolts plated. Most of the time polishing zinc plating removes it. They look great now, but will rust quickly when exposed to the elements. And the engine gets exposed to the elements! You could test a couple out, but this has been my experience.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Didn't think of that Dave!

Unfortunately I didn't have a enough parts to make it worth the platers time and I wasn't going to let him mix my stuff with other stuff. Darn bolts have gotten expensive. Part breakers are expecting a lot of cash for the bolts.

This bike will live here and have a good life. The humidity is usually 4-10% , my biggest battle is the UV radiation on paint and plastics.

The polished zinc on the Travesty is still as shiny as the day I buffed it out. Benefits of dry high altitude desert.

Mike

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I had the same experience as Dave and it broke my heart. I no longer wire wheel fasteners if I can help it, except very lightly in the threads.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

CopperCollar wrote:Didn't think of that Dave!

Unfortunately I didn't have a enough parts to make it worth the platers time and I wasn't going to let him mix my stuff with other stuff.
Mike

Mike do you belong to any other bike or car forums? On some of the larger forums there always seems to be a couple guys that do enough of their own restorations that they have invested in a small home plating kit and are willing to do small lots for other members.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Mike, if you can wait a bit, I might be able to help you. I have taken some of the engine bolts from my 1979, plus some from the school motor I have, and also a lot that I bought from one of the salvage guys on FleaBay, and plated them as part of my project load. Bright zinc.
The school engine was missing some fasteners to begin with. My plan is for a consolidation of a good working engine based on the school engine plus the cams from the 1979, etc. You are welcome to my extras, but I won't have that count until I get to the engine. probably another month or two.

Barry

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You may also explore Eastwood - www.eastwood.com- what they have as far as spray coating. Some of that stuff is as good in appearance and effect as plating.
They have a silver cad plating in an aerosol which I have used, that is supposed to duplicate the looks of cadmium plating. And their Chrome Galvanize aerosol holds up to 300° F also.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks guys.

Barry, I would hang on to what you have. Engine case bolts are pricey on ebay anymore.

I may ask for one or two of the long ones in the future that are NLA .

Mike, that sure sounds good in regards to the spray paint. I'll check it out.

Jeff, I belong to the CB1100f forum, I'll see what guys are doing there.
I have looked at kits, just one more thing I'd rather not do, my garage space is shrinking with each project..

Mike

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Picked up the Gerard CBX today.
$500. piece

It is about 95% there. All that's missing is side covers, seat trim, tool kit, and ignition switch.

Right exhaust rotted in the usual place.

Tank is clean inside and no dings.Tail piece is toast from sun damage, switches are toast from sun as well.

The Speedo reflects 5,000 miles.

Return to “Project Threads”