F1 cars are fast(er)

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

F1 cars are fast(er)

Post by NobleHops »

This is pretty amazing. You think GT cars are fast, and they are. When you see a comparison to F1, it looks like the GT cars are being pedaled.

EDIT: Possibly BS, apparently a track day in the left frame. Chalk this up to 'amusing'. I owe you 30 seconds of your life back.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: F1 cars are fast(er)

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote:This is pretty amazing. You think GT cars are fast, and they are. When you see a comparison to F1, it looks like the GT cars are being pedaled.

EDIT: Possibly BS, apparently a track day in the left frame. Chalk this up to 'amusing'. I owe you 30 seconds of your life back.

N.
Maybe it is a little exaggerated, but...
This is the course of Spa Franchorchamps in Belgium. That particular stretch is called "Eau Rouge" and F-1 cars can reach in excess of 315km/h (over 195mph) at the bottom of the dip. A well-prepped GT racecar may exceed 150mph but not by much.
I had the pleasure (it was fun 8) ) to participate in a race team at the 24 hrs of Daytona for 15 years and saw several changes in sanctioning bodies from IMSA through Grand-Am and competing vehicles like factory sponsered prototypes like Porsche 962, Jaguar XJRs, Nissan GTPs and Ferrari 333s to the less refined Daytona Prototypes of toaday.
In that race, prototypes run on the track at the same time as GT cars and the speed difference between these classes both on the back stretch, before the "bus stop" as well as the front tri-oval before braking into the infield part is plain amazing.
The sports car prototypes do not reach the raw top speed of the F-1 cars and I can only imagine how much more visible the speed difference would be.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You owe me more than 30 seconds buddy boy!
I have never been able to watch just one clip when i get directed to YouTube. Sort of like the potato chips ad...bet you can't eat just one.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:You owe me more than 30 seconds buddy boy!
I have never been able to watch just one clip when i get directed to YouTube. Sort of like the potato chips ad...bet you can't eat just one.
+1 Steve.

My employer and family both curse you, Nils.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:In that race, prototypes run on the track at the same time as GT cars and the speed difference between these classes both on the back stretch, before the "bus stop" as well as the front tri-oval before braking into the infield part is plain amazing
Yes, and then compound that by the pitch black of midnight and add in some rain - It's really amazing that more serious accidents do not happen due to the disparity of speeds

I had the pleasure of watching the 24 hours in person one year in the early '80's and it's something you never forget

Don

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Definitely BS. Time the cars passing by and you'll see that the disparity is ridiculous.

Return to “No Redeeming Value”