Indiana short track

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Indiana short track

Post by Rick Pope »

Some may argue that there's some redeeming value to this, but you can decide for yourselves:

This Friday evening, August 27, there will be short track races held at the Lawrenceburg Speedway, Lawrenceburg, IN, my home town. Historically, when they have the short track here the night before the Indy Mile, a lot of Big Names show up, looking to make some easy money. Of course, the purses are jacked up for this night, which attracts more Big Names...

Did I mention this is the Hayden Bros. home track? Yeah, I know they're from Owensboro, but Earl drug those little fellas up here every Friday night from about 1985 until they hit the big time. The temptation to show they still know their way around the track will be great.

So, if you're looking for something to do, and think watching these guys on a 1/10 mile track would be fun, c'mon down. I might even convince my bride to let you crash in the family room. Practice at 6:00p, and all the bikes will finish before they let the karts out. My house is only 6 miles from the track.............
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Indiana short track

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Sounds like fun,, wish I was closer.

I used to sponsor a flat tracker at a local track. Suzuki engine, champion frame, bates leathers and the hot shoe. We also ran a Bultaco.

Those where the days.

Enjoy
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

Now he tells me.

I'll be riding to Indy on Saturday for the Indy Mile, staying over night, MotoGP on Sunday, then home. Maybe with a stop or two.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Soooo, leave Friday morning, get here in time for the races, come back to the cabin for some Black Bush, and run the 86 miles to Indy on Saturday. :)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Will wrote:Now he tells me.

I'll be riding to Indy on Saturday for the Indy Mile, staying over night, MotoGP on Sunday, then home. Maybe with a stop or two.
Will, I am down here in Indy already. If yo see this before you leave, send me an e-mail to mike.simon70@yahoo.com with your cell phone number.
I am with a component supplier support team and will be rather busy, but if I can squeeze some time in and it goes better than we hope - I can't promise - I will give you a call and get you "behind the scenes" into the pits for a while. 8)

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

Rick Pope wrote:Soooo, leave Friday morning, get here in time for the races, come back to the cabin for some Black Bush, and run the 86 miles to Indy on Saturday. :)
Actually my week was relatively planned, which is really unusual for me. Tomorrow is "mow the lawn, trim the hedges day." Besides, as much as I would love to go to the short track, and it only would add a few miles the trip, I am not an Iron Butt Rider, more like a casual rider with an occasional long ride.

Thanks for the offer. Maybe next year.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The racing last evening was good. Some national numbers showed up, including the points leader and his brother, who is nearly as good. In the first heat, a local who'd not raced in two years, won. Mr. Points Leader rammed him while re-starting, causing words and threats to be exchanged.

Later in the pits, Mr. PL confronted the local (38 year old father of 3, and all 3 race in the smaller classes. This guy was once a pro rider himself) and accused him of blocking his attempts to pass. PL said, "Do you know who I am?" To which Mr. Local replied, "This is MY house, bitch." Needless to say, in turn 1, lap 2 of the final, Local v. PL erupted, with PL in a heap along the wall and Local standing in the middle of the track laughing.

The final had 15 bikes on a 1/10 mile track. The rest of the race was clean, Mr. PL did indeed win, but he had to fight for it. The old guys who came out just to run this race showed they still know their way around too.

Oh, and did I mention it was FREE? I called a friend to see if he wanted to go along, and he had a fist full of passes for me. I handed them out to friends.
Rick Pope

Return to “No Redeeming Value”