CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:04 am
I just sold a Supertrapp. That would be a great exhaust. It is tuneable for all kinds of different set-ups and lighter. Just a little hard to find now.
Did they make a full system for the CBX? What configuration is it?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 am
James Fisher runs a 6 into 2 into 1 on his racer but his fabricator is charging over 1,600 pounds sterling.
FWIW, my bike has a 6-into-2-into-1 that was built to address the midrange flatspot of the previous 6-into-1.... And I have a midrange flatspot. My carbs are also a mess, so it's hard to tease apart the cause and effect here.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, the Supertrapp was/is a 6-2, like the stock configuration, with the stackable end-plates. All stainless steel. One of the best aftermarket exhausts you could buy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Phil, now you tell me??? But thanks for the confirmation anyway. EMS, James Fisher, Roly Skate and Ken Onus all concur with you that 6 into 1 does not work with the CBX. Who am I to demur?

I don't know much about the Supertrapp but it looks like it would be easy to copy using my existing headers. I just need to find a local with a tube bender and a TIG.

I really don't want to have to go to Melbourne twice. And why can't BMW include an overload switch in their ABS modules to stop the motors burning out? Its not as if abs is particularly high tech anymore with just about every auto being fitted with it.

Is that some sort of sensor below the collector EMS? And has anybody written authoratively about CBX exhausts b4 this thread, I wonder? Experiments with power valves or at all?

The main problem with stainless is always the weight and a 6 into 2 also means additional plumbing restricting access. And 2 end cans and baffles instead of one. Speaking with one of my competitors recently he disclosed that the titanium 4 into 1 system on his Harris Kawasaki cost over $6K and the same day a fellow MGMCC member who runs a swag of Molnar Manx's confessed that to be truly competitive in any Period in historic racing in Oz you need to be prepared to spend many multiples of 6 figures.

The Lump doesn't owe me anything like that and the Delkevic exhaust is my most expensive failure to date. But things go on - the last few days has seen my fiberglass seat cut down behind the tank to narrow it to no more than the width of the frame rails so I can reach the ground and I've fitted some more aggressively serrated spring loaded foot pegs with upturned lips on the end so I can better push off into the corners.

And I fixed my neutral light. Always satisfying to track down an electrical fault. These are all small developments that make the Lump easier to ride. The neutral switch addresses another CBX idiosyncrasy - the difficulty engaging neutral when the oil is hot. You don't want to be held up on the starting grid after the warm up lap and having to ride the clutch because you can't get the damn thing out of gear. If that happens you can kiss goodbye to a clean start off the line!

So my only essential warning lights are oil pressure and neutral.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

This is what my new Megacycle race exhaust looks like. You can also see how I have cut down the seat so it is narrower immediately behind the tank. This also exposes the way I have raised it on rubber blocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

All important ground clearance is achieved by very careful pipe routing on this side...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

left side...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

and the right side...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

For some reason the left side was reluctant to load. Is ICOA showing a political bias???

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

So this is how a CBX exhaust should look - 3 into 1 on each side - and well tucked in. It is not as pretty as the Delkevic 6 into 1 or the Pipemasters 6 into 6 but it should work better. I may not be able to get it back on the dyno for a while but already it feels better just loading it into the trailer on the clutch.

We will be back on track for a test session in a couple of weeks to see how it goes in the real world

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

While i know is not a major concern for your purposes but they certainly look good.
Have you heard them? Any noise level concerns?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Only warming it up to load it into my trailer on the clutch Steve. I reckon t will pass a noise test (95db @ 30 meters).

Even tho' the crank is not shaved, the porting, carbs and removal of the alternator does give the motor an angry quicker revving snarl than a stock CBX but the new mufflers mute the higher register bark to a more basso tone somewhat offset by the high pitched whoosh of the intake from the open carbs. Hard to mute that.

How's that for a description? The nose is piquant and it rests longingly on the palate... I could go on but it is not a glass of my favorite bubbles, its a race bike. With any exhaust a CBX still howls with a gut full of revs under full throttle but to my ear it does not sound as fast as a cross plane R1M and nor is it. Nor does it have the addictive shift crackle from the ignition cut out of a quick shifter or wheelie control. And the jury is still out on whether it has the mumbo to mambo the front wheel in the higher gears like it used to with my first head job.

In the overall aural stakes at a race track it has plenty of competition. Maybe I should post a link to a short video or you can wait for the Historic National Championships in October, that will be live streamed?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Heh Phil, what do you reckon about fitting a couple of lambda sensors and a gauge so I've got something to look at going down the straight? Something like this...?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I think that it can only help in terms of dialing in the carbs.

Very excited to see the new exhaust - I hope it gives you back what you need!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I very rarely have time to look at the tacho much less a lambda gauge so a go pro would be needed so I could film it.

I was planning to take it out to the track this w/e but have been as crook as a rook after my first covid shot. One of the things it has affected is my balance and unless things improve in the next few days I don't think I'll be fit to ride. In this case I'm certain the cure is not worse than the disease but its no ride in the park, either.

I have to give it another oil change b4 then and it might be of interest to talk about oils. The CBX gets very hot even with a large oil cooler and extended sump. So hot that most oils will start to break down. I use Penrite 10W60 JASO MA2 and change after every track session. Its not cheap coming in at $16 a litre or around $75 a pop plus filter. On the other hand on an air cooled bike its the best present you can give yourself and much cheaper than a re-build.

In comparison with my liquid cooled bikes I might change the oil every 6 months or twice a season (our season is 12 months).

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”