What is that oil dust in my engine?

thomasgeorgi
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What is that oil dust in my engine?

Post by thomasgeorgi »

I have always changed my oil at less than 1000 miles. During the valve clearance check I just finished I noted a lot of non-metallic, non-magnetic "dust" in the pockets between valves. I've cleaned it out of course and dropped the oil pan to clean it out there too. I've also seen similar in the bottom of just opened oil jugs. There really isn't that much but... Any idea what it is?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: What is that oil dust in my engine?

Post by daves79x »

Do you run your bike many miles when you start it? Or just shorter trips without fully warming up the oil? I'm talking 30-50 miles per start-up. Not doing this will accumulate sludge. I recently serviced a 100,000 mile CBX that looked just like new under the valve cover and in the sump. No sludge whatsoever. That bike obviously gets run and well warmed-up.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

AND, once sludge begins to occur and deposit, it is most difficult to clear without physical removal. Long full temp running can help. Best bet is as Dave said -- don't do short runs. ABOVE ALL -- don't do those short 2 minute garage starts to 'keep the battery charged' and/or 'just to be sure it will start'. That's real BS. Also, it will be a great help to clog the carb jets. Get a good battery float charger and keep the carbs drained.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

thomasgeorgi
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by thomasgeorgi »

When I do run my bike it is 8 miles minimum. The thing is that "dust" appears in the bottom of white oil jugs that I just bought and just opened. It isn't sludge. More like a really, really fine powder or just darker oil. A paper towel removes it easily.

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”