What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by cross »

New addition to my stable is an '03 Valkyrie. Got it in non running condition do to sitting for very long time.
Got the carbs apart for cleaning and rebuild as they are leaking and throttle wasn't moving more than 1/4. Found that carb #2 shaft is stuck so i cleaned it and now it's fine.
Had to order all O rings, gaskets and float valves since about half were not closing and fuel was leaking into the carb bodies.
Need to test aircut valves before i put things back on the bike, replace timing belts, check valves and do all fluid change
Anyone here with knowledge on Valkyrie?

Thanks
Sasha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Sasha,
Do you know George Dillaway? He lives in Chula Vista. George has a Valkyrie sidecar rig.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes, i met George once few years ago

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Took it out for the last ride of the year.
Actually it was on Sunday but i can't remember riding in Dec. for probably 30 years.
Cold but sunny made it tolerable.
Sorting out winter to-dos is next.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Took it out for the last ride of the year.
Actually it was on Sunday but i can't remember riding in Dec. for probably 30 years.
Cold but sunny made it tolerable.
Sorting out winter to-dos is next.

we've had a warm winter out west as well with temps up to 10c there are a number of riders still out there everyday...I was really tempted to join in so I climbed on the GS see if my new knee would flex enough to ride :-) it was a no go :( ... I'm sure my surgeon wouldn't approve :x
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I looked at mine longingly and wished I could ride it. :)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Syscrush wrote:I looked at mine longingly and wished I could ride it. :)
I finally rode it again - HOORAY!

Into storage - BOO.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Reassembled the rear end with new tire, rebuilt master cylinder, brake caliper and new brake pads. Now pulled the front end apart, brake cylinders disassembled, one caliper rebuilt. Tomorrow is rebuild the other caliper and master cylinder then fork seals. Get to spoon on a new front tire too. Lot of cleaning required but at least it all seems serviceable.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Okay so the brakes are all done, although the front calipers aren’t back on the bike yet, fork seals are in and forks back on the bike (that snap ring is a bitch, stronger than my snap ring pliers), still have to fill with oil and reinstall the springs. Front tire is on but I am now fighting the front axle nut. Need to pull the axle to get the wheel on my truing stand to balance it. Applied enough force to splay a SnapOn 17mm wrench on the opposite end and it didn’t budge. Currently sitting over night with some PB Blaster applied. I don’t have a deep well socket that will fit over the axle to use an impact on it but I’m thinking that’s what it is going to take. Maybe a trip to Home Depot tomorrow to buy a sacrificial socket and bore it out to fit over the axle.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Sat in the garage late into the night last night mostly looking at the custom '79 I picked up yesterday. But, I also did a fair amount of detailing. It was pretty dusty (been laid up for 10 years). Caressing all the nooks and crannies is a great way to bond with a new machine. Found a few warts, but I'll chalk that up to 40 years of hard love. I'm not a fan of the patterns the PO put in these rotors...
IMG_5732.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Finally, weather warn enough to open garage door and work on bike.
Pulled the carbs, removed the K&N pods, installed an original filter box and plenum, re jetted carbs to stock jets. Big thanks to Mike Nixon for giving me the option of Hex head screws when he cleaned and rebuilt the carbs a few years back. Now I get to have the joy of fitting the carbs back into place. :laughing-rolling:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Finally, weather warn enough to open garage door and work on bike.
Pulled the carbs, removed the K&N pods, installed an original filter box and plenum, re jetted carbs to stock jets. Big thanks to Mike Nixon for giving me the option of Hex head screws when he cleaned and rebuilt the carbs a few years back. Now I get to have the joy of fitting the carbs back into place. :laughing-rolling:
instead of fitting the carbs to the engine fit the engine to the carbs... :D grease the rubber and carbs and let them hang by the controls supporting them with one hand then lift/jack the engine back into position and slowly press back into the carbs, checking alignment as you go... :D easy peasy
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Kinda makes me want to go out and source an OEM airbox...for when I get the joy of pulling carbs again. Not soon, the last carb job is still too fresh in my mind!

...and in keeping with the thread topic, finished getting the swingarm back in with brass bushings. Re-installing the shocks, I found that the PO had installed hard plastic bushing in the upper shock mounts. They crumbled to dust when re-inserting. Well, that's a snag - until I remembered my bushing stash. Found some unused rubber ones that needed the center reamed out a bit and on they went - unsleeved. I'll get some proper ones "soon". Didn't want to be dead in the water for want of those danged things.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

spent 4 hours over the last two days trying to fire up the GS , fresh gas in tank, spark good, the occasional pop and backfire but nada...after trying starter fluid and not getting a response I figured the gas wasn't getting through :? ...35year old vacuum line from the carbs to the gas tank was looking a little old and stiff (like me)maybe it was sucking air, so I switched it out to fresh line and it fired right up :D

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Well. Got the carbs in and hooked up the Wyle way and ........wait for it.....

Today I get to undo my weekends work because I hooked up the thottle cables backwards. :roll:
stupid mouse :sad-roulette:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”