Advice on purchase

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
nzfrank
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Advice on purchase

Post by nzfrank »

Tool Kit (1)_resize.jpg
Here is a picture of the tool kit that I believe is original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Have you had an old bike before?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The tool kit looks great - original bag even looks pretty good. The original wiring looks great, except is that a replacement main fuse holder? You even have the original '8-track tape' battery spacer!

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Great 'buy', Frank! From this thread, and just generally speaking, I'm certain you have received all manner of 'advice'. So, my contribution: Check all the wiring harness connectors for corrosion. Especiall, check the connector on the right side which is associated with the battery charging circuit. Any corrosion in that connector will cause sufficient heat to damage the connector with time. Besides, causing battery charging issues. Then, all the 'usual' things such as brake system flush, being certain the pistons are free and no corrosion. Might be worth a rebuild -- installing new seals in the calipers. Not all that difficult a task.

Above all -- enjoy :D :D
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

nzfrank

Post by nzfrank »

Hi
Many thanks. I have had several 1970s bikes, but they were all owned in the 1970s and 1980s.
The seller advised me of the non genuine fuse holder. I will try to find a genuine item.
The brakes have been overhauled with new pistons (honda genuine), seals and lines.
The carbs have been overhauled and she starts first push from cold or hot and runs sweetly.
Valve clearances have been set as part of a service a few Km ago.
It also came with a spare tank and tail piece that a previous owner used to fit to go touring (that may account for the state of the red paintwork).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Your stock strip fuse holder is still there - look like it was just bypassed with a modern one. Check out what is left of your stock one before you decide you need anything. The stock ones have proven very reliable for me, but others have had issues, my guess due to neglect and corrosion.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:Your stock strip fuse holder is still there - look like it was just bypassed with a modern one. Check out what is left of your stock one before you decide you need anything. The stock ones have proven very reliable for me, but others have had issues, my guess due to neglect and corrosion.

Dave
The main advantage to the updated main fuse holder is that they use modern spade fuses, available anywhere, even your corner drug store, the OEM flat fuses are Honda only and are cute and all but sometimes you just have to go outside the Honda box.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

:text-welcomewave: Enjoy your purchase, remember to always switch your fuel tap off when the bike is not running, please also note there are copies of the manuals already put up on this website, so feel free to browse around the technical sections. If you could write a small article with some pictures of how you found the CBX and what the history is, we are always looking for articles for the CBXPress, the publication of the ICOA. You can send any articles and high-res photo's direct to me at mrcbx@att.net.

Enjoy your great find!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”