2018 SRC (Sunday Ride Classic) Paul Ricard Circuit-France

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

2018 SRC (Sunday Ride Classic) Paul Ricard Circuit-France

Post by CBXTRA6 »

If you never heard of this event, check it out. For the last 10 years, it has become THE gathering of the best of Classic Motorcycle Road racing, kind of like Daytona used to be... Crying or Very sad
Some of the best past and current champions, tuners, team owners, factory attend for a fun loaded weekend in the South of France, at the prestigious PAUL RICARD circuit near Le CASTELLET. It is located near TOULON and MARSEILLE.
Regulars include AGOSTINI, FREDDIE SPENCER and many many more European star pilots.
The display of legendary racing bikes is phenomenal, and the purpose of the weekend is to see them in action on the track , often with their original pilot. Every year, there is a new honored guest, last year was Steve Baker riding his TZ750, and I think Wes Cooley will be the 2018 honoree.
The Who's who of road racing will be there.

Check it out on this website and make sure to watch all the slide show filled with fabulous bikes.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SundayRideC ... e_internal

The other reason for this post is that the 2018 edition will feature the HONDA CBX, 40th anniversary.

As you know, it was released in Europe in 1978, 1 year earlier than in the US.
The SRC organizer has offered a special incentive to bring in CBX owners to this event, it includes the possibility of racing in a special "CBX" class several sessions , or simply participate in the CBX only parade lap.
The French CBX Club is inviting all CBX owners to participateand put together a special package for 15 Euros which includes the tix for the 3 day event, VIP tent welcome , parade lap for those with a bike (CBX of course) and a BBQ dinner sponsored by HONDA .

If you are interested, let me know so I can help you in the planning of this trip. I intend to go.
At this time of the year (end of march), it is more like California weather, and you can find real cheap airfares, also, I'm sure that the French CBX club will be happy to help in the logistics and finding adequate lodging accomodations.

I realize that it is far and costly to ship your CBX there... so if you don't know this part of Europe, consider making it a one week vacation to explore this wonderful region they call the French Riviera!
CANNES is only 1.5 hour east, NICE is 2 hours away, and the backroads are phenomenal.
So, even if you can't bring your CBX, consider renting a bike for a memorable week either starting or ending with the SRC weekend !

If you are interested, contact me : cbxtra6 [at] outlook [dot] com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JP

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 2018 SRC (Sunday Ride Classic) Paul Ricard Circuit-Franc

Post by EMS »

Thanks for this, Jean-Paul. I may be in Europe during this time to attend some CB1100R activities.

But please...
As you know, it was released in Europe in 1978, 1 year earlier than in the US.
....do not create any rumors that from here on forward will be repeated as facts that an expert on the ICOA forum posted! 8) :lol:
The CBX was NOT released earlier in Europe. Some of the real earlier "showings" of the new bike in 1977 may have happened in Europe, but the U.S. received the first production models as is evident by the VIN numbers first released for each market.
And most 1979 models were actually produced (and sold) in 1978 - in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world.
1979 calendar year production for the 1979 model happened only in January and February, with most of these bikes going to places other than the U.S.

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Mike,
I shall not challenge you on this :teasing-poke: , as you probably know more on the subject than I do to back it up ! :DD
JP

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Between the world class Vintage racing and having the CBX as the featured marque it sure does sound like a fantastic event, JP.

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

See below a 20mn Video (in German) about the 1978 BOL D'OR 24 hour endurance race , held at the Paul Ricard circuit,
In it, you will see a CBX racing and leaving its pit.

https://youtu.be/cBcCO-OJlRM

Also, in Jeff Bennetts post :
<<ANSWERS from the CB1100R Club of Japan
by Jeff Bennetts » Fri May 11, 2012 5:47 am
Earlier this year Kazu gave me the opportunity to compile questions to be asked during an interview with some of the CB1100F and R Honda designers and engineers in Japan.
<<
In Euro, there was limited modification for race bike and must be sold in the market for homologation, So to win the race in Euro, Honda have to make the needed limited modification racer and sell it.
Source…CB1100R Owner’s Club of Japan

So Mike (EMS) , here is the question : there was a CBX running at the 1978 Bol d'Or . In order to participate, it had to be derived from a model already sold by the manufacturer.
Doesn't this mean that the CBX was indeed already sold on the European market in 1978 ?
JP

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Also Mike : This is the reason why they are celebrating the 40th anniversary next year in 2018....
JP

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

While I didn't buy a CBX when they first came out, I seem to remember they were available in about July 1978? An early release '79.

It sure is tempting to make reservations to ship our bikes to France. But I'm afraid freight on the Spyder would be frightening. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Come on guys....
Since when is it new, that the 1979 model CBX started production in April of 1978 and that first bikes were sold shortly thereafter???
If anybody who owns a North American 1979 model will look at the VIN plate on the steering neck, they will see a manufacturing date that shows the month and year. Anywhere from 4/78 to 12/78 for over 19,000 of them..
The comment about the Bol d'Or racer in the quoted Jeff Bennets post refers to the CB1100R, not the CBX. The CBX was never raced officially by Honda in a Bol d'Or event.
The video does not show a CBX. It shows the RCB1000, which was a dedicated racebike based on the CB750 SOHC and which was introduced by Honda in 1976

I have a serious problem with how things that I say are being heard by others!
One reason why I really do not want to make any posts here anymore.

I did not say, that there were no CBXes sold in Europe in 1978.
I said that they were not sold earlier in Europe than in the U.S.
The U.S. was not a year later than Europe.
They were called 1979 models, but most of them were made and sold in 1978. Both in Europe and in the U.S.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Thanks for the clarification Mike. The habit of companies releasing models "early" certainly goes a long way towards creating confusion as to who has what. I have a bike titled as a 1928, but all the experts claim it's a 1927, even though swapping a few parts would make it match the title. I just ride 'em and grin. :D
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

without digging into historical records(I'm lazy :lol: ) to the best of my recollection the first public appearance of the CBX was at the Isle of Man TT which I believe was the end of May or early June '78...and delivery to the public anywhere didn't occur until after that official introduction...I made my purchase in Feb of 78, production date of my Z was the third week of April, I took possession in either June or July...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

There is not much "digging" necessary. Most of it is well known in the CBX community and has been hashed over many, many times.
First public appearance of the CBX was in 1977. That year Isle of Man event was one of the venues it could be seen.
Almost a year before production started. Many magazines had "first ride reports" in late 1977/early 1978. I have several of these, both from the U.S. and Germany
Production started in April 1978 and is "documented" on all North American VIN plates in the right upper corner as 4/78.
How one would know the exact week in April, would be a challenge, unless they were there or had insight to secret records that Honda has.
It has being estimated that the total number of bikes produced in April of 1978 was approx. 2,500 - 2,600., based on owner's feedback and records. Assuming they started the first week of April, that would make approx. 650 units per week.
The first bike produced and sold to the public had VIN number CB1-20 00042 and was a bike for the U.S. market. This is documented by Honda.
It is also documented that the lowest VIN number produced NOT for the U.S. market was ...871, which was a bike for the German market.
In fact ...044 is still in California to this day.
Several CBX enthusiasts from Norway have been successful in the past locating low serial numbers in the U.S. and importing them to Norway.
It can be said safely, that any bike with a VIN number under CB1-20 00871 in Europe is an import from the U.S.
The whole point of this here "controversy" is, that it is NOT correct that the CBX was released in the U.S. a year later than in Europe.
"Release" (production and sale) was in 1978 worldwide

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:There is not much "digging" necessary. Most of it is well known in the CBX community and has been hashed over many, many times.
First public appearance of the CBX was in 1977. That year Isle of Man event was one of the venues it could be seen.
Almost a year before production started. Many magazines had "first ride reports" in late 1977/early 1978. I have several of these, both from the U.S. and Germany
Production started in April 1978 and is "documented" on all North American VIN plates in the right upper corner as 4/78.
How one would know the exact week in April, would be a challenge, unless they were there or had insight to secret records that Honda has.
It has being estimated that the total number of bikes produced in April of 1978 was approx. 2,500 - 2,600., based on owner's feedback and records. Assuming they started the first week of April, that would make approx. 650 units per week.
The first bike produced and sold to the public had VIN number CB1-20 00042 and was a bike for the U.S. market. This is documented by Honda.
It is also documented that the lowest VIN number produced NOT for the U.S. market was ...871, which was a bike for the German market.
In fact ...044 is still in California to this day.
Several CBX enthusiasts from Norway have been successful in the past locating low serial numbers in the U.S. and importing them to Norway.
It can be said safely, that any bike with a VIN number under CB1-20 00871 in Europe is an import from the U.S.
The whole point of this here "controversy" is, that it is NOT correct that the CBX was released in the U.S. a year later than in Europe.
"Release" (production and sale) was in 1978 worldwide
I still have the same 77 magazines which is why I put my order as soon as the dealer allowed me to which was Feb 6...I've always assumed those early first rides/tests were pre-production models, weren't the first 43 units considered pre-production?...It was my understanding the Isle of Man TT was the first "Official" public introduction to the CBX, I could be wrong of coarse...

third week of production...I have #2001,498 which fits nicely into the 650 units per week estimate :D
engine was assembled previous month 53-3-27 #2001340

I have seen number #14 (frame only) hanging on a wall at SCM in the Netherlands, I have no idea where Bert found it...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”