What’s the difference?

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What’s the difference?

Post by Limey01 »

What’s the difference between a 79/80 rear brake master cylinder and a 81/82 rear brake master cylinder? Oredered the wrong rebuild kit and want to know if it will still work.

Andy
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: What’s the difference?

Post by daves79x »

They look physically the same but the internal parts are different. Never knew what the actual difference in the body is, maybe none, but the rebuild kits are certainly different and I would not try to use the early kit in the late m/c.

Dave

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Guess I’ll have to send it back and order the right one. Thanks Dave.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Send it back?
Sounds to me like the perfect excuse to buy an early model CBX.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Maybe I can start with a rear master cylinder and slowly accumulate the whole bike.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Limey01 wrote:Maybe I can start with a rear master cylinder and slowly accumulate the whole bike.
Sounds like a plan to me!!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Limey01 wrote:Maybe I can start with a rear master cylinder and slowly accumulate the whole bike.
strange how that works I've got the bits and pieces of RD 350 to rebuild around...seems simpler to buy complete bike and just add my bits to...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

[/quote]strange how that works I've got the bits and pieces of RD 350 to rebuild around...seems simpler to buy complete bike and just add my bits to...[/quote]
I’ve already got more than enough of those projects around here including most of a ‘69 BSA Spifire, most of a ‘71 Bonneville and most of a ‘59 MK 2 Jag.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The problem is, "most of" is cheap. "The rest of" gets expensive. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Rick Pope wrote:The problem is, "most of" is cheap. "The rest of" gets expensive. :o
The Jag is my bugbear. It is such a beautiful car when done right and worth a lot of money. Had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago and while recovering started a spread sheet on the rebuild cost. Interior kit, (seat covers, carpet, door panels, head liner, etc.) $8,000. Replacement crankshaft (mine is already ground to the minimum), with bearings, $3,000. Bodywork and paint job, $10,000. By the time I get into brakes, suspension, interior woodwork, chrome, would like to put A/C in it, wire wheels I gotta have, I’m looking at $50,000 to get this thing on the road. Good news is if I can do it the value of the car is probably half that again. It could possibly be the only vehicle I’ve ever restored that might actually be worth more than I spent on it, that is, of course, if you don’t include my labor.

Actually I do have one vehicle that I rebuilt about twenty years ago that is probably worth more than I put into it, but it wasn’t at the time, and that is my 1970 Triumph Bonneville. The price is starting to go crazy on those.

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”