Side Cover Pin Repair

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Side Cover Pin Repair

Post by Limey01 »

When I got this bike one of the locating pins was broken off on the left side cover and it was flapping while going down the road and I was scared I was going to lose it. So I flattened off where the pin had broken and drilled a hole in the little raised boss. Then I made a new pin out of aluminum and threaded the other end, slid a nut up under the boss, a little blue loctite and tightened it all up and it worked like a charm. Quite pleased with myself.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Side Cover Pin Repair

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Wait...."then i made a new pin out of aluminum"....what am i going to do with the 8 different kinds of duct tape that i own?
Nice fix, MacGuyver.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Wait...."then i made a new pin out of aluminum"....what am i going to do with the 8 different kinds of duct tape that i own?
Nice fix, MacGuyver.
I doubt Mcgyver had the means to shape an aluminum pin, just as I don't :( ....I was hopeful of a solution I could manage when I saw "Side Cover Pin Repair" ...but no, I'll still need to rely on velcro to keep the panels on my GS in place

I make sure to keep my 79's pins well lubed with lithium grease to avoid breakage...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Believe or not a lot of my friends do call me McGyver. Of course it does help when you have a lathe in your garage.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Stevo »

Great repair I was wondering how to do this, several of my pins are missing, can you tell me if they are all the same? my bike is completely stripped at the moment but I am sure some of the rubbers that the pins were supposed to clip into were elongated not round. 1981 Prolink

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

For all who have not broken a pin -- yet -- a little silicon grease around the rubber grommet holes does well to prevent breaking them by reducing pull-off force. Haven' lost one doing this.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”