1979 CBX Barn find in Marysville Ohio

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Cotter1979
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1979 CBX Barn find in Marysville Ohio

Post by Cotter1979 »

Living in Marysville, Ohio, I've always heard the history of Honda bike manufacturing and, most notably, about the CBX 1000. Recently, I was enlightened on a side story that took place back in 1979. When Honda came to Marysville, in an act of good faith, they donated two CBX 1000s to the local high schools (Marysville & Fairbanks) for the shop classes to breakdown and reassemble as part of the small engines curriculum :lol: Of course, the bikes were too large and complicated for either teacher to deal with so two 125s were sent in their place. Because the CBX 1000s were already taken off the books, the bikes stayed in the possession of the schools. I have since found the Fairbanks High School teacher who told me the bike was stolen in the late 1980s and never seen again. The Marysville High School bike was found and is now in my possession! The bike was missing its gas tank so I have sourced a 1981 tank to replace it but with the tabs its not an exact fit. Also, there is absolutely no paperwork for the gift/sale of this bike so I have no way to title the bike. That being said, this beautiful, monster of a bike only has 18km on it! Not 18,000... 18! (Only 5km from me) I gather the bike was meant for export which is why the speedo in in km. In my non-professional opinion, the bike looks amazing for its age. After blowing off the dust and dirt, and a little elbow grease on the chrome, she's a stunner! The bike even has the original 1979 tires on it! Probably not too safe to ride on 40 year old tires but they look brand new and got me up and down the road just fine :) Along with getting the replacement gas tank, a local mechanic went through the engine, cleaned it up, and replaced some worn gaskets. I paid him $2000 for the tank and his labor. My issue now is that I cannot title this bike and as much as I'd love to keep it in my collection, I think it would serve someone else better either getting it on the road or replacing their worn motor with essentially a brand new one. If there is anyone out there who might be interested in having this rare barn find, reach out to me and maybe we can make a deal.
-cotter1979@yahoo.com

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1979 CBX Barn find in Marysville Ohio

Post by wyly »

pictures would help...no title will be an issue...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I assume the bike is a '79? What are the engine and frame numbers? Is the frame tag on the steering head still there? Or is it on the right side frame rail by the front of the tank? Why would you spend good money for a tank that would never work on this bike? Let alone big bucks having someone 'go through' the engine, not knowing if you could ever title the bike?

I think you can get it titled, but it's harder than ever and costs way too much money. Please do post some photos so we can see exactly what you do have.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Potentially a big dollar find either sell as is or do thourogh research first before putting in big cash...yup wasted money on the tank, if it is what is claimed a correct nos tank still in its box could still be had for $2k a couple of years ago...did going through the engine include cleaning the carbs? New battery? Taking off the valve cover(the last two abandoned engines I came across we're badly rusted)..getting title where I live is easy as long as the title/serial number search doesn't come back as stolen, in other jurisdictions it can be a nightmare...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Cotter -- and others: Try this link for help registering an un-titled bike. http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-digit ... pg=29#pg29
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Cotter1979

Post by Cotter1979 »

Cotter1979

Post by Cotter1979 »

Here are some pics of the bike. You can see how the 81 tank tabs stick out. You can also see how the turn signal plastic has faded with time.
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

79s only came in red or silver ...black is an 1980 color, tail cowl is 80....it has a sport kit, an option in N America standard in Europe...black was available in germany in 79 but then there is that 80 cowl...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is clearly an 80. Black wheels, air assist forks, tailpiece and rear shocks say so.
It is also a non-US market bike, due to the km/h speedo, low bars and rear sets, the long rear fender with the reflector as well as the owners' manual.
No idea how the Prolink tank ended up black.
The bike is most likely out of Japanese production and ended up in Ohio as a "sample" prior to production in Marysville, probably for reference purposes.
I have no records of Marysville bikes being produced with European specs.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Looking at my tiny pics on my phone I never noticed the speedo, my Canadian 79 has mph and km , nor did I notice the long fender, a very euro feature...doesn't appear to be a original 79 unless a lot parts have been switched out ...an interesting mystery regardless ...what does the plate on steering head say or the date stamp on the rear of the engine case...if it was a legit black 79 from Germany that would've beeen cool, I've never seen one...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Again, the bike is an '80. Air assisted fork, reversed black Comstars rule out a '79, in addition to the other things. If it was a black Euro 79, it would have silver Comstars and most likely a small alternator.
The bike probably does not have a plate on the steering neck, but riveted VIN plate on the side frame rail under the tank.

Cotter1979

Post by Cotter1979 »

Here is the bill from the local mechanic who got the bike running for me. I agree with those of you who say the tank was a mistake. I should've held out for a proper 79 or 80 tank. Anyway, it is what it is...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Servicing cost imo doesn't seem out of line, to many here it is because they have the knowledge to do it themselves...I'd do everything listed myself as well ...
How did you locate a black tank? Did you have it painted?
You could source the correct tank and sell the one you have or just let the next owner do it.... tanks show up quite often on ebay, red being most common colour...$600-1000+

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike is exactly right with his analysis of this bike. Still be nice to know the serial number. The tank is a total screw-up. Decent, paintable early CBX tanks can bring $500, but they're out there. This bike is begging for one. Otherwise, you have a very nice, rare and interesting bike. It is indeed worth going through some trouble and expense to title it. You didn't really say, but does the bike run fine now after the work that was done?

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Also be interested to know if it has the faulty early '80 ignition advancer.

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”