Fuel additives

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fuel additives

Post by nwtk2007 »

Here in the US our gas has alcohol in it. From what I can gather speaking to some owners of vintage hot rods like the KZ's and CBX's, it causes a lot of carburetor problems with build up. I had one guy recommend running some Berrymans B-12 through each tank. It certainly helped on one of my KZ's.

Is there a consensus or opinion about the fuel additives as regards to the CBX or other old super bikes? Is there any risk to the bike with using these?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Fuel additives

Post by daves79x »

Find non-ethanol fuel if you can - it's worth it. You should be able to in Dallas.

Dave

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I use 91 octane non-ethanol and add a splash of Seafoam or Stabil. If I start the bike after a couple of days (up to 2 weeks or so) it starts right up. Anything longer than that, and it has to crank for a while to get gas back into the carbs. The longer it sits, the longer it cranks.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I've look at the MSDSes of two products that people on the internet seem to generally say are decent fuel stabilizers. Here are what those claim they're made of:
Seafoam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/msds-downloads.html): 40-60% Pale Oil, 25-35% Naptha, 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol

Sta-Bil (http://www.sta-bil.com.au/pdfs/STA%20-% ... iliser.pdf): 95% Kerosene, 5% Additive Mixture

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

I got so tired of the Ethanol fuel I started using VP C9 in the CBX and the GB500. But it is about $ 9.00 a gallon. I research on the web for another source of fuel and found that Gulf Marine make a non-ethanol fuel. It use isobutanol to replace ethanol.

"Isobutanol is an EPA Approved oxygenate containing 30% higher BTU than ethanol, while producing power beyond typical ethanol-based gasoline". "ISOBUTANOL is not hygroscopic which means it will not absorb nor accumulate water, nor will the fuels damage or affect gas tanks, gaskets, carburetors or injectors. Our fuels, using ISOBUIANOL, meet all engine makers requirements which means these fuels will not void engine warranties. The National Marine Manufacturers Association has endorsed gasoline containing ISOBUTANOL as being better that using fuels containing ethanol."

So far it really run well in the CBX. I just hope it stays around. It was $ 4 a gallon. My neighbor is a boat guy so I asked him if there were any Ethanol free pumps at a marina nearby and he told me about one. So will check that out soon.

edit: I want to add see the video in the second link.

http://gulfracingfuels.com/race-fuels/gulf-atv/

http://gulfracingfuels.com/isobutanol-a ... hanolfree/

http://gulfracingfuels.com/where-to-buy-race-fuel/
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the marina pumps.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

For what it is worth: I've used anything that comes from the pump for 20 years in my '82. What I do is put a double dose of Stabil into the tank and a double dose of Techron into it if the bike is going to sit longer than a week. Also, drain the carbs INCLUDING the fuel line if it is going to sit longer than two days. (Disconnect it at the petcock. I have by-passed the vacuum valve.) Starts and runs fine doing this even after sitting 5 months through Michigan Winter.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Doesn't draining the carbs drain the fuel line too?

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Should if there isn't an air lock somewhere.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”