Prolink Fork In Early Model Frame & Steering Damper

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks Louis, What springs would you recommend ?
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

alimey4u2 wrote:Yes Mike, when you alerted me I thought....Hmmm I have an 18" wheel that may compound the problem even more..... Plan "B" is to use maybe all the fork tube & go with a different handlebar arrangement.... Nothing like "Capt. America" though.... :lol:
My view has always been to do exactly what you are doing and that is ask those that have tried things and assess their results.

Once I get this baseline info I try to do changes one at a time then assess the results.

First approach for you might be to simply fit the late model tubes as is and see if this work for you.

If the bike wont turn in the way you want in the twisties yet is stable on high speed runs on the straights then fit the 1100f triple trees and see what this yields.

If the bike turns in too fast and is unstable on high speed runs it gets more complicated but still there are solutions such as lowering the back or fitting longer tubes to the top of the late model forks or fitting Rick Popes handlebar setup and dropping the forks to where where it all works out to what you want.

The critical thing is get those 35mm tubes off and do one step at a time to move forward.

>>>>>>>>

As a minor sidebar I went through all this because the Aprilia Caponord adv tour bike (we bought for the long suspension travel to help Donnas bad lower back issues) would simply not turn in the way I wanted in the twisties. Turned out it took a whopping 22mm in fork rise to get it right.

Another point is the CBX is no Moto GP bike that responds to micro suspension adjustments in my view. Along these lines......we had an expert suspension setup person attend one of our rallies long ago and measure the chassis setups of eight or so CBXs .....and the one most out of "specs by the book" and alignment just happened to be the best handler.

So my recommendation is to give it a go one step at a time with with the hardware you have and go from there. Ofcourse let us know the progress........there is alot of interest in what you are doing. From my personal perspective .........ole dawgs are open to learn new tricks.

Just some ideas.........probably wrong....usually am.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Makes perfect sense Mike..... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

alimey4u2 wrote:Makes perfect sense Mike..... :thumupp:

Huhhhhh.....27 years in CBXing and this is the first time anyone ever said that about somthing I said about CBXs

Just how long did you stay at the pub last night :lol:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:
Just how long did you stay at the pub last night :lol:
Just 2 hours Mike, 2 pints of Cider, I was a good boy.... :lol: :wink:
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Gotta post this again....

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html

Nooo that is not I with Jack Nicholson as piggyback... :lol:
ICOA # 656

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Larry,Race Tec emulators are in there. When I got them from that guy John S. They were all set up for his weight and he is the same weight as I am. So I never opened the tubes. All that I can tell you they work real well at any speed. I am also doing the mtns turns much better with this bike than any other CBX I have used. If you want to ask Mike Dollinger in CA he is the one that spent Jonh S money on them. I think I spelled his name correct. I can give you his email address if needed.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: 1980 Fork upgrade...

Post by Chris »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:An option to overcome the issues Mike pointed out would be to use the triple trees from an 1100f which are 39mm and can be pressed right on the CBX early model steering stem....then install the late model forks.

Mike
Anybody out there have a set of 1100F triple trees for sale?

(I'd like to try a set)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

This link was kindly sent to me, looks like a few people are doing this mod over winter.... 8)

http://www.super-boldor.de/13801.html

Thanks for the info on the springs Louis..... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:This link was kindly sent to me, looks like a few people are doing this mod over winter.... 8)

http://www.super-boldor.de/13801.html

Thanks for the info on the springs Louis..... :thumupp:
Have delt with Jörg Fasse before. Good , solid guy.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

A mutual friend & "sixcylinderphile" sent it to me Mike & came highly recommended.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

(I'd like to try a set)
Hi Chris

Check Honda Dealers.......by some miracle they might still be avail.

Salvage yards still have 1100fs sitting around collecting dust. Many motors blew. You might even be able to get an entire front and back.....more work than just forks/triple trees to put on the early model but much better results.

Also you might check specs for 900fs and later 750fs as they also might have 39mm triple trees. Unlike 1100f which I know has same steering stem diameter as the CBX..........this has to be confirmed for the 900f and 750f. Do not use 750f/900f shocks on CBXs....1100fs are the only ones that are an upgrade and work better than oem CBX shocks

The 1100f forum is a good place to check also and ask above q. The site is down now for maint. http://www.cb1100f.net/

Bob Buehler might have a set.........I will ask him for you.

Mike

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:

(I'd like to try a set)
Hi Chris

Check Honda Dealers.......by some miracle they might still be avail.

Salvage yards still have 1100fs sitting around collecting dust. Many motors blew. You might even be able to get an entire front and back.....more work than just forks/triple trees to put on the early model but much better results.

Also you might check specs for 900fs and later 750fs as they also might have 39mm triple trees. Unlike 1100f which I know has same steering stem diameter as the CBX..........this has to be confirmed for the 900f and 750f. Do not use 750f/900f shocks on CBXs....1100fs are the only ones that are an upgrade and work better than oem CBX shocks

The 1100f forum is a good place to check also and ask above q. The site is down now for maint. http://www.cb1100f.net/

Bob Buehler might have a set.........I will ask him for you.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

I'm thinking of putting them on the race bike project.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CB750F did not have 39mm forks, unless somebody converted. CB900Fs did in the U.S. In Europe the 900s went from 35 to 37 to 39mm. CB1100F and R had 39mm so did the VF1000R.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

HD V Rod too...... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”