Wiring sub-harness replacements

msnitker
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Wiring sub-harness replacements

Post by msnitker »

Hi All, new here, grateful for the knowledge across threads and topics! I am considering replacing the wire harness with a reproduction version, but am having a hard time finding sub harnesses--p/n, i.e., tail light sub harness, among others--does someone know if there are reproduction versions out there?

I've found the main harness easy to come by, so far, and read some of the discussions on quality, so that's fine.

Happy trails! Mikael

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Wiring sub-harness replacements

Post by daves79x »

From my experience, if you can at all salvage/repair your original harness, that's the way to go.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I agree with Dave. There was a series of reproduction wiring harnesses that were excellent, the current crop is less-so. The work to restore your harness is not exotic - remove any electrical tape (as opposed to the harness tape) and see what’s beneath, and repair that. I like to ultrasonic clean the entire harness, but I have a big one (hehe), so that might not be practical. There are a few notorious problem areas - the red connectors under the right side cover, the ignition switch base, the red wires from the fuse link to the red two-wire connector. Stand by and I shall share a link, hope you use Facebook, because that’s where it is.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA
'82 CBX, among others.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA
'82 CBX, among others.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

CBX's do not have a "fuseable link" they have a (stock) "dogbone" fuse under the cover of the starter solenoid.

A fuseable link is a special piece of wire used in automotive applications that burns and separates to open the circuit when overloaded. Honda doesn't use them.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”